Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIS shutter not cocking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Retina IIIS shutter not cocking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Johnphoto

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anyone have a pdf of the parts manual? I have a pdf of the service manual. I'm trying to troubleshoot a shutter not cocking problem.

What's right:
Wind lever winds; locks In return position, unlocks when shutter release is pressed.

Not right:
No sound of shutter being cocked on wind.
Soft click when shutter button pressed, but no shutter action.
Shutter release button does not lock after being pressed.
Mechanism does not lock when counter reaches 1.

I took off the top cover. Screws A holding down the plate with slot for lever B were loose, tightening didn't fix.
Counter actuating lever B moves back and forth with the wind lever suggesting the cocking rack Is OK. I am puzzled by the function of shaft C--lt is not present on my Ib, doesn't seem to connect to anything at the upper end, and it seems odd that the flat part of the top ls facing themeter housing and flush against lt. The service manual somewhatenigmatically says: "FIlm advance lever falls to set shutter: Incorrecttiming between transfer shaft and shutter setting Idler gear''. (no pix).

Toomanycams
Tinkerer
Username: Toomanycams

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Nobody else has tackled your question so I'll tell you a little of what I remember. I have a IIIs with the same problem.

The cocking rack (which is soft and can be found damaged in some Retinas) turns a gear and shaft that transfers the motion down to the bottom of the camera. A few more gears down there transfer the motion to the lens where it ultimately becomes a rotation of the lens cocking ring. The "incorrect timing" reference applies to the meshing between the cocking rack and the transfer pinion. Since there is a little play in the system there is likely a couple of options for which rack tooth engages with which tooth of the transfer pinion. Your best bet is to study the rack and pinion until you understand which way is cocking. Then loosen the fixings of the rack and see if you can shift the engagement 1 tooth in the wind direction. This 1 tooth "head start" on the pinion's motion will have it wind a little farther and hopefully get the shutter to latch up. If you are lucky this will work but there is also a posibility that the shift will have the pinion turning too far and running into end stops of some kind, preventing full wind lever motion. This is what I ran into and no particular rack and pinion mesh worked 100% for my camera. At that point I decided a shutter clean was called for and it is still on my "to do" pile.

For rod "C" is that part of the wind stop function? (Stops when you get to 0 frames remaining.)

Hope that helps,
David Smith

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Johnphoto,

If those two screws holding down the cocking rack were loose, chances are the rack has jumped a tooth, or more on the transfer shaft. There's a fifty-fifty good chance the rack is now damaged. The rack is not the same as those fitted to the IIIc types, it's the same as those fitted to the original Retina Reflex and the Reflex S.

As for shaft 'c', you'd better go back and look at your Ib, because it has one too. As the previous poster said, this is part of the frame counter film advance lock.

Now, just in case no-one told you, watch that meter coupling cord, if it comes off the pulleys you'll probably need to dismantle the whole camera to fix it.

Regards, Chris Sherlock

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration