Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord Triotar lens disassembly/c... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Rolleicord Triotar lens disassembly/cleaning? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bcostin
Tinkerer
Username: Bcostin

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've come across a well-used old Rolleicord I Model 2, with the Triotar 75/3.8 lens. Unfortunately the taking lens appears to have some nasty internal haze, or possibly fungus.

Unscrewing the front elements from the camera is easy enough, but I can't figure out how to disassemble them from there. I'm not even sure it's possible to do so. It looks like the front component might screw into two halves but I have not been able to budge it at all. I'm wary of causing damage. Any advice?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 582

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are 2 air spaced elements in the front cell of the lens, and only a single element in the rear cell. I'm not sure how the Triotar is constructed; the most common construction is to have the front element secured with a retaining ring which doubles as the identification ring on the front of the lens. Usually these rings do not have any spanner slots; to unscrew it, you need to do something like find a piece of tubing the same diameter as the ID ring and apply a piece of double-sided foam adhesive tape to one end of it, and use this as a tool to twist the ring off. A fair amount of good fortune is required, if an unslotted ring is stuck tight it will be pretty difficult. The second element is often "rolled" into the brass mount permanently, but once you have the front element out you will be able to reach all 6 surfaces for cleaning.

Bcostin
Tinkerer
Username: Bcostin

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha, thank you for the advice. I'll give that a try.

BTW, your site and your camera notes CD have been a great resource. I really appreciate your work in this area.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration