Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing the shutter on a Yashica Mat LM Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Removing the shutter on a Yashica Mat LM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fdave
Tinkerer
Username: Fdave

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found this forum and there's a ton of great info here. I've been searching the archives for the last half hour but can't find the info I need.

I have on my worktable a Yashica Mat LM with a shutter that needs some attention. Getting the lens/shutter assembly out of the camera and getting the front cover off of it was easy. Now I have the inner shutter/lens assembly sitting there and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to actually extract the shutter itself from the rest of it. I suppose I could try to work on it in situ, but it would be a lot easier to overhaul the shutter if I could just get it out.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 581

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you done this sort of thing before? It depends on what sort of attention the shutter needs, but if it's just hanging up or speeds are sluggish, there is no need to remove the shutter from the case. The case is opened by first unscrewing the front element from the lens and then removing the front panel of the shutter, which will usually be secured by a retaining ring around the lens barrel at the center. If you have blades dislodged or an extremely dirty mechanism, then it may be necessary to remove the works from the housing. In most cases, it does not quite all come out cleanly as a single unit, some disassembly of components will usually be required. These pages do not deal directly with the YM-LM, but they may be useful in a general way:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-55.html

Fdave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've worked on Copal large format shutters before, and just figured it would be easier to take it out of the rest of it. I'll give just taking off the front panel a try flushing it out where it is.

Fdave
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, quick update. Just opened it up where it was, flushed it out, and now it's working great. Good to know I can just do that without actually removing the shutter from the rest of it.

Tomorrow I've got another one I'll do the same to. The challenge with that one will be the film advance!

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 205

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the mat film advance can have many problems, once wind handle is removed by pushing tapered pin remove perimeter small screws, once you get cover off there is a gear with a one way affair up on the left top as you look at it. Make sure hair spring is engaged. The gear falls out , it is just set in place. The winding disc gets gummed up with old grease, clean and check the whole mechanism there is two pointed dogs that come together they are on the right side half way up. Remember to clean the counter disc and the slotted plate underneath.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration