Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Synchro-Compur Repair--B & T settings... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Synchro-Compur Repair--B & T settings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_a_goldfarb
Tinkerer
Username: David_a_goldfarb

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tell me, if you can, what's wrong with this picture--

Synchro-Compur

I've worked on Synchro-Compur and similar shutters before, usually using Dan Mitchell's web pages and my own intuition, but this one's of more recent vintage, and I'm missing something.

It was about a stop slow on all speeds, so I flushed it out with naphtha, and now it's running much better, but the B & T settings aren't working. I've obviously got a pin that's not engaged or maybe a spring that's come loose, but I can't figure out where it is.

Any suggestions?

David_a_goldfarb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, looking into this further, I realize that B&T are controlled by the two latches, one hinged right next to the "S" with a hole at the other end and the one just about 3 minutes clockwise from it, hinged closer to the lens opening. Immediately clockwise from the hinge for the first lever near the "S" there is a pin with a spring resting against it, and I think this spring needs to attach to something at its end, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 106

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, you are correct, the latching you're talking about is separate form the rest of the speed system. I don't remember exactly how it latches but with a bit of fiddeling you'll eventually figure it out as most of have done.

One of mine had the latch behind the catch as it must have jumped out of it's place and spun around. Whatever you do, just don't bend the darn thing or it'll never be right again.

David_a_goldfarb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Paul. I'm wondering if there's a spring that's disappeared that goes in that hole in the first lever. It seems that to engage the stop for the B & T settings, it needs something pulling or pushing it toward the center. That other spring I was considering doesn't seem to reach that far, and I haven't figured out where to attach it that would do something useful and not get in the way.

If I can't figure it out I'll just send it off, but meanwhile, everything else is working great, and I don't use B&T too often with this lens anyway, but I do like stuff to work.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 107

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I had a good shutter to open I'd be able to tell you exactly how that lever hooks in.

Try leaving a message on this site... http://www.nelsonfoto.com/v/index.php

There are a few retired reapirmen there, Dean comes to mind, he'll know for sure.

David_a_goldfarb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestion. Someone on APUG has a manual and has sent me some diagrams, so I think I'm on my way. That lever with the hole catches a spring at the outer perimeter of the shutter just clockwise from the "S" in the picture and under the dial, and I think its gotten unhooked. Also, the first spring I was concerned about should latch that lever just below it.

Epatsellis
Tinkerer
Username: Epatsellis

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,
That's it, exactly. both little levers have springs, and if one is missing, unhooked or trashed, you will either have B, T, or none of the above, depending on which spring is unhooked. A little experimentation should get it figured out.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 22

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

enclosed a pic of an opened Synchro Compur of a Voigtländer Prominent (it has only B - not T) but you can see roughly at the 9 o'clock position a lever and a spring attached to it which is marked "broken spring" (the tiny one) - this spring should hold the lever to the cocking ring when using B.
Hope it helps.
Synchro Compur

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 26

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, also check the spring under the lever by the "R". Also, you might want to get those shutter leaves cleaner :-)

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 27

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is... the "R" in 'SyncRo', not 'CopuR'.

David_a_goldfarb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, the spring under the R also came off, but I figured that one out. I made the photo before the naphtha was completely dry, so that's what you see on the shutter blades.

The version in the Prominent looks a little different from mine, but yeah, the "B" mechanism is basically the same.

The spring you have marked "loose" should be loose, I've figured out. That's the booster spring for the top speed, and it's compressed when the dial is turned to the top speed.

I had it out today, and at the regular speeds it seemed to be working well. I'll soup the film tonight to make sure my exposures aren't way off.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 23

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David,

Yes, I know about the booster spring (now) but the pic is some weeks old which was when I started getting into the shutter which I have roughly working by now (thanks to a lot of help from this forum). It still needs some cleaning and the B spring replaced but before I open it up again I need a magnifying glass which allows me to work with both hands ;-)
Hope your pics will turn out fine.

David_a_goldfarb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, the exposures came out nicely. I recently had three lenses, including this one, cammed for my Linhof Tech V 23b, so I tested it out with all the lenses I use with this camera, and exposures with this shutter were consistent with my other shutters.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration