Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD11 Erratic Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta XD11 Erratic Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 47

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My XD11 has just started to give me some trouble - it will freeze with the shutter open and mirror up in any of the exposure modes. It may happen twice in a row or once in 40 shots. I can remedy the situation by turning the shutter dial to O and whacking the baseplate with the heel of my hand, which will cause the shutter to close and mirror to drop. I don't need to do this every time, sometimes it'll close after just turning it to O.
Anyone have a clue what's the cause/remedy?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 95

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's time to clean the variable resistors.

By doing a search here you can get the dtailed solution.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did a search, but didn't come up with a solution that seemed directly applicable. There was one post which mentioned repairing a problem with an XD11 in manual mode, but my problem is in all modes. I did get the details on the variable resistors from that post so if nothing else pans out I'll try that. I've taken off the baseplate to check the condition of what was down there, and everything looked fairly pristine, and the camera wouldn't misfire for me while it was removed.

Sigkyrre
Tinkerer
Username: Sigkyrre

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably a stupid question, but have you tried inserting a fresh battery?

If that doesn't help I'd suggest cleaning the mode switch brushes. There is a contact switch at the 10 o'clock position when you look at the camera top-down with the film back towards you. Make sure you clean this contact as well.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 49

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose I could do that. For the past week I've dry-fired the camera a few hundred times and there hasn't been one problem. I will clean all contacts and install fresh batteries before I rely on it, though. I have a pair of backup bodies (XE-7 and SRT102), so I haven't been in a rush to do any repair work.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration