Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Super Ikonta cosmetic issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Super Ikonta cosmetic issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berkbs
Tinkerer
Username: Berkbs

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently acquired a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 533/16 folding rangefinder camera in very good shape. The only fault was the very stiff focusing ring. When repairing that I took the front metal ring off, by unscrewing the three little screws on the sides. Now the focusing ring is fine, but I realized that the side of the screw-driver left a very fine scratch on the DOF scale. Usually I would not mind this, but this camera is mint otherwise. I am a little angry to myself for not taping the DOF scale before the repair, but I really could not tell the material was so soft, you can almost scratch it by nail. Anyhow, I am wondering whether there is a way to repair the fine scratch. Maybe something that could fill the scratch and I could wipe the excess off? Or polishing it finely to smooth the scratch a little...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is a tough one and it really depends on a lot of varibles. If the scratch is in an area where there is enough metal that you can work the surface down to the depth of the scratch and re ploish your in luck auto body supply shops and some auto detailing supply places sell very fine sand paper 1000 grit and finner that can be used to work the scratch out then you can repolish with a product like brasso or a fine abrasive polish either by hand or use a dremel with a buffer wheel at slow speed.
As far as filling in the scratch I am unaware of any thing soldering aluminum is very tricky because you have to get the aluminum so hot that if your not extremely careful like an expert at it you end up with a glob. A thought is to get some bright aluminum paint which really does have aluminum in it or some aluminum auto radiator stop leak maybe even clear lacquer and work it in the scratch may help a little.

Good luck That is a heart breaker
Jay

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration