Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

My very first experience in camera re... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » My very first experience in camera repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Riz
Tinkerer
Username: Riz

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

This is my very first attempt of learning camera repair. I started with Adox Polomatic 3S its 1961, German made compact viewfinder shutter priority automatic exposure. For more information on camera you can refer: http://logic44.co.uk/mark/Compact%20Camera%20Collection/Adox_Polomatic_3s.htm

Here are some points that I want to share:

* The camera has following problems/issues: - Viewfinder/automatic exposure mechanism is not working - Problem in shutter speed and aperture setting - Gears, screws, snap rings and other metallic parts are dirty and bit rusty - Inner bottom plate has some rust - Couple of parts is worn out. One plastic part is broken.

* My primary intent is to (a) de-assemble the camera, shutter and lens, (b) clean the parts and perform necessary servicing, and (c) re-assemble the camera/shutter/lens..

* My secondary intent is to try to repair the camera. It�s my very first try so I am not sure about it.

* Still if I am able to re-assemble the camera exactly as before I would think as a big success for me as a first step.

* Today (May 19, 2008), I completely de-assembled the camera body to the maximum possible level and detail.

* Every part is out and catalogued except two small screws and one wire that I forgot to log.

* I used small and big round containers to store the parts.

* I also used broad tape to stick some parts.

* I used small stickers to put on the containers and tapes for proper cataloging.

* I took notes and pictures from digital camera too.

* I am finding bit problem in understanding the electric mechanism connecting selenium cell, coil, shutter-priority mechanism, shutter advance lever etc.

* Mostly I used screwdrivers and I think I need more with thin and bit large tip.

* I had to use nose pliers very less and snap ring pliers for just three rings.

* Now, I will de-assemble the lens and shutter.

* I am thankful to the following for their guidance: - Mr. Saeed: Veteran professional camera repairmen. He is above 70 now but still sits in his shop. I go to him often to have some tips and he is such a nice man to never refuse. His shop is full of old cameras and plenty of high-quality tools. He has also got specialized tools that he had from the camera manufacturers. He also maintains his own library and he mostly reads now. He also writes in local photography magazine.

- Rick Oleson: I am very grateful for his emails. His detailed emails are really helpful and his style of explaining is simple and understandable. He is a great help.

- Matt Denton's website: His site has very informative articles on camera repair and I found much for Zorki and Cannonet.

- KY Photo, Photo.Net websites contributors.

Sorry if you find this haphazard. I just wanted to put on record for reference.

Regards,

Riz Abbasi

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration