Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lens repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Lens repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xk57
Tinkerer
Username: Xk57

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 58mm 1.2 MC that the TSA people DROPPED!
the filter thread area is bent. who can fix/replace? thanks

Blaz38
Tinkerer
Username: Blaz38

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Either use a lens vise. See, e.g.
http://www.edromney.com/toolp_e.html
http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MTE&Pro duct_Code=LV1
(make sure you have the URL in one piece)

OR the DIY method as described by Henry Taber
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/filterringtool.html
I used myself a variant. Uses an electric drill with a hole saw; normally used to make circular holes for electrical outlets in drywalls. Select the saw blade whose outside diam matches your filter ring. Cut out a hole from a board of suitable thickness. Use the inner cutout (plug) as a tool while the outer rim of the filter ring is resting in the hole. Hitting the tool but not the lens requires some thought and care. And some help, as pointed out by Henry.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think you would fix it by making them buy another one. No way you should be responsible for their incompetence. To get results, you will probably have to write letters to your Senators and Representative in Washington. NOTHING gets attention in the halls of Washington bureaucracy like a letter forwarded through the Capitol building. They track it every step of the way, folks will have to sign off on the response way up the chain, maybe up to the cabinet secretary level. (Worked there a few summers, I know how the system works.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration