Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help! Nikon FM2 Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Help! Nikon FM2 Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Yee0890
Tinkerer
Username: Yee0890

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was loading a new film into the camera then all of a sudden, the film advance lever would not rotate all the way, and the shutter wouldn't be fully shut.
Attached are two photos that show the problem.
Please help me!shutter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 583

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure that I can see it clearly in the photo, but if your shutter blades are crunched you have a problem. Either way, you will have to disassemble to reach the shutter, if it's not the blades themselves you might find something jammed in the gears.

Nikon used to sell replacement blades for the FM2 at a reasonable cost - $15 per blade when I rebuilt my FM2 back in the 90s. I don't know if they still have them available or not. There is an aftermarket company that sells shutter blades - look at http://camerashop.in/shopping_cart.php?sort=2a&osCsid=b3647c46b3a22f00ccfe7b4216 a66ec2

When I bought mine, I had to give Nikon my serial number to make sure I got the right part; I don't see a place for that information here, so I don't know how important that was... there might be some risk of a mismatch.

I have sketches from my FM@ shutter service adventure; email me if you'd like a copy.

[email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration