Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon P strange light leak Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon P strange light leak « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Azza
Tinkerer
Username: Azza

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, i recently bought a nice loking Canon P rangefinder. The thing is, it has what appears to be some light leak problems. (I knew of the problems before i bought it).
The light leaks only appear occasionally, with varied intensity. Sometimes it'll be very bad, sometimes not so bad, and mostly not at all.
Does anybody know what this might be?
The shutter curatins look good, a little bit crinkled but no hard creases or holes etc.
Here are some examples of the problem the previous owner experienced.
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9585/blaatest1ni5.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2706/blaatest2rz1.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'll probably end up taking it in to get repaired, but i wanted to try and do a little research myself first.
cheers!

_____
www.arransalerno.com/blog

Agno3
Tinkerer
Username: Agno3

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would suspect a misplaced or missing light shield under the top cover.

Try this: cap the lens, open the shutter on "B" and hold the release. Point the camera at a bright light source, place your eye at the film aperture and look around, particularly up toward the area where the small range finder window is located.

You may need to bring your back away from the aperture a touch so you can see the track in which the shutter runs. Move the camera around a bit and see if you can see light bouncing into the frame. It would help to use a finder of your other hand to block and reveal different portions of the front openings to help you see the leak if it is in this area.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 358

Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may find a slight modification to the above check will be more revealing and easier to do. Load the camera with a fast B/W film, cap the lens and open shutter on B. Then manually fire a flash gun a number of times all around the camera - you can use a small Maglite torch as the light source. I usually expose a few frames, with the light concentrated on different areas of the body ie finder windows, door seal areas etc. Inspection of the negs will give a clear indication of the source of the leak.

Azza
Tinkerer
Username: Azza

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, thanks so much for the replies. Its very much appreciated.
I'll do my best to follow the instructions provided, but i have to say i'm a little lost.
I dont fully understand them. Would anybody happen to have a photo or diagram that might help out a little bit? I can understand if its to much trouble. It'd really help me though.
Thanks again for everyones time.
Cheers

_____
www.arransalerno.com/blog

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration