Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord V transport Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Rolleicord V transport « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick_n
Tinkerer
Username: Patrick_n

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone-

I recently aquired a "train wreck" Rolleicord V and took on the challenge of bringing it back to life- 3 excruciating days later I've got the shutter running like new and the counter/transport mostly functioning.

The problem seems to be with the vertical arm (on the operator's right side) that moves up and down to engage and disengage the "stop" on the winding knob. Hopefully I can add the photo for clarity.

Rolleicord Side

This arm seems very draggy - the spring and levers behind the lenses are doing their job and appear strong, but this arm seems like it's scraping as it goes up and down, so that sometimes it works, allowing the frame counter to stop at each frame, or sometimes it hangs up and you can roll through an entire roll of 120.

I gave it a tiny bit of singer sewing machine grease where it looked like it was contacting the body of the camera, (and where the two moving arms scrape together) but no dice. Does anyone know the secret to making this arm travel up and down freely without sticking? Thanks for any insight!

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 34

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what you describe I would guess a cleaning or lubrication issue. Did you disassemble and clean thoughroughly before greasing? Perhaps slightly bigger "tiny bit" of grease once you are sure it is pristine clean.

Patrick_n
Tinkerer
Username: Patrick_n

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aha! I took it apart and cleaned everything again, and discovered the hang-up was at the pivot point for the upper arm (the one that engages the notches in the frame counter.

More rolleicord

Tightened down too much and it gets stuck, not tightened enough and it gets a bit floppy. I get the feeling that the screw currently in there is not original, and it's obvious from the chewed-up screw heads (among other things) that someone with a not very delicate technique has been in here before. It's working like a charm now, we'll see how long that lasts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration