Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ikoflex shutter self timer question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Ikoflex shutter self timer question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berkbs
Tinkerer
Username: Berkbs

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there

I am attempting to CLA a postwar Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex with Novar lens, self timer and double exposure prevention. Top speed 1/300sec.

I flushed the shutter and now it works. But there is a weird thing. When the self timer is going the shutter blades open a little bit. Enough to ruin that frame. I do not know how it was before I started but I really do not think I did anything to damage the shutter. I know sometimes the shutter blades move a little bit when the self timer is going but this does it too much. Is there an adjustment or is it a matter of leaving it longer in isopropyl alcohol?

Second question: How do I get into the frame counter(double exposure prevention) mechanism to clean it? Do I need to peel of the leatherette on the side?

Berkbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I found where the problem is but I have no idea how to solve it.

There is a gear at the self timer that has a slot where the lever from the shutter goes into when the self timer has completed its turn. When you do not use the self timer the gear sits in the position so that the lever will fit the slot and the shutter will be released right away.

When the self timer is set, this gear rotates about 90 degrees. When the shutter button is pressed, the lever sits against the gear when the gear is rotating its way backinto the rest position. When the rest position is released the lever sits again in the slot and the shutter is released. Therefore the delay in the shutter cycle. The problem with my camera is that the lever and the gear sit about 1mm from eachother. So, when the self timer is set and the shuter button is pressed the lever travels the 1mm (or maybe half a milimeter) until it hits the side of the gear. The 1mm travel means that the shutter blades open a little when the self timer is buzzing.

The solution is to reposition the self timer so that it will sit little closer to the shutter delay mechanism, or to bend that lever a little. I do not know how to do either of these. Any ideas?

I hope what I said above made some sense, at least to some of you.

Berkbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 06:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Typo! The second paragraph should be:

When the self timer is set, this gear rotates about 90 degrees. When the shutter button is pressed, the lever sits against the gear when the gear is rotating its way backinto the rest position. When the rest position is REACHED the lever slides again into the slot and the shutter is released. This delay during the rotation of the gear back into its rest position makes the self timer.

The problem with my camera is that the lever and the gear sit about 1mm from eachother. So, when the self timer is set and the shuter button is pressed the lever travels the 1mm (or maybe half a milimeter) until it hits the side of the gear. The 1mm travel means that the shutter blades open a little when the self timer is buzzing.

Berkbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody?

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 51

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the shutter lever been bent away from the gear (about 1mm from your description)? This would cause what you describe if the gear is in the right place. When it is in the slot, does it rest at the bottom of the slot or does it rest about 1mm from the bottom?

Berkbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fixed! I took the timing gears off to get access and bent that lever a little by screw driver. Now it works fine. It does not let light in when self timer is buzzing. Somebody probably forced the self timer lever when the shutter was stuck.

The shutter mechanish is now ok but the frame counter/shutter release button still does not work reliably. Any directions on how to dismantle the side and cleaning inside the frame counter?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration