Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Honeywell Pentax H3v Shutter/Lense pr... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Honeywell Pentax H3v Shutter/Lense problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geologist
Tinkerer
Username: Geologist

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 1962 Honeywell Pentax H3v that I was given by an experienced amateur photographer (original owner), and I believe the camera's condition to well kept overall. However, several months after using it, the shutter became stuck when I took a picture. While examining the camera, I found the lens could not be unscrewed.

I went to a well-known camera shop and was quoted a price of $100 for repair of the camera. Recently, while considering this cost, someone suggested I'd be better off replacing it than repairing it, however this being my first SLR as well as my first film camera, I would like to preserve it's function for as long as possible.

I was able to get the lens off (details about that provided upon your request), and found that the shutter sticking kept this flat, rectangular metal piece from snapping back, thus blocking a part of the lens while attempting to unscrew it. If i manually press this metal piece back after winding back the lever, the camera will act as it should and the shutter will return to its normal position.

I'm wondering if $100 is a fair price for the repair of this, or if anyone may be able to guide me elsewhere. I will happily pay the cost if I must, but I am obligated in my situation to look for a lesser cost.

Berkbs
Tinkerer
Username: Berkbs

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your camera needs a CLA. I have a Pentax roughly the same age as yours with the same symptoms. The shutter cannot complete the cycle and the plate pushing the aperture pin does not return to its position. Naturally the mirror does not return to its position either. This makes the lens very hard to remove without damaging the aperture pin.

You can get it professionally serviced for under $100. I can recommend somebody if you want. Keep in mind that people usually wreck the first camera they attempt to repair.

Geologist
Tinkerer
Username: Geologist

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've sent you a private message.

Berkbs
Tinkerer
Username: Berkbs

Post Number: 15

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I did not get the message. Please email me instead.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration