Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica CCN wide cocking lever stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica CCN wide cocking lever stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kuuan
Tinkerer
Username: Kuuan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just received my very first rangefinder, a Yashica CCN wide, and what a beauty it is!

Unfortunately the cocking lever is stuck at swung out position and the release won't work.

Now it could be that I did this to the camera, but that it was a latent problem already. I just had received it yesyerday, and even before I could buy a new battery to try out if it worked I opened it to clean the viewfinder, it was so very dirty. On opening a thin golden colored bolt of less than 1 cm length and a small golden washer fell out, they both seemed to come from the cover, not from the main body. I never figuered where they came from, and after putting it in a wrong place the washer seemed to have disappeared inside the camera...

Yesterday, before opening, it did release and the lever did return, but not always...it also got stuck once or twice, don't ask me how I made it come back then, it somehow happened.

One good news though: after inserting a new battery all the rest seems to work fine..

I'd be SO very grateful if anybody could give me a hint how I could make this camera work!

thank you,
Andreas

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 72

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 04:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am astonished that you make your first attempts on such an extremly rare camera as the CCN is.

The golden pin has to be placed within the inner flash contact (PC contact). It is needed to switch the shutter time to a default time (1/30 s as fas as I know). When the bolt is in the contact and you fit a flash cord the bolt will close a switch and the camera with operate with the default speed.

Concering the disappered washer I would remove the top and the bottom of the camera and shake it gently.

Kuuan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank's a lot Rainer for your answers

It is only recently that I wanted to get a rangefinder, wanting it to be small with a wide and fast lens, and preferring aperture priority my attention was drawn towards the CCN. I read that it is considered very rare, but right now I am in Japan and CC and CCN wide are more readily Availability here makes it very tempting to get a few others, but then I want the CNN to be my one and only..

Anyway, I made the lever to function, for nowe at least!...
I do not understand how it works exactly yet, but there is a level which locks it which should get returned after pressing the release but which did not. Fundling around with it I got it to work..not very reliably though, it will need a better repair later on. I had closed it that many times thinking it is OK to find it back stuck after a few releases. For now it seems to be stable...

Thank's a lot for the info on the golden pin. It is reduced in diameter on one end, and has a head on the other, right? Now that the camera seems to work I may give it a run before opening it again to try putting the pin, so please let me ask, which side goes into the PC contact first? Must be the reduced side, yes?

thank's a lot,
and I hope so much to make this beauty work!

cheers,
Andreas

Kuuan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

let me also mention:
- today cleaned it nicely, the viewfinder was very dirty and now shines!
- the light seals are completely gone. I already cleaned the residues and bought some material to put instead.
- another thing I want to 'restore' is the leather bag
- I want to give full justice to this gem.

any hints very welcome ( or e.g. links to read up on light seal material, or how to recover leather bags, but I am sure this can be found elsewhere in this great forum )

thank's again,
Andreas

p.s.:my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 73

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Enter the pin from the inside of the top cap towards the outside with the reduced side first. The head on the other side prevents it from falling out.

As fas as I know there is no other difference between a CC and a CCN than the name. Here in Europe the CC is not often encountered but the CCN is really extremly rare.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 57

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 06:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For light seal instructions, look at the top of this page. Click on "Articles", then you will see Jon Goodman's light seal replacement article. Jon is the best, and I recommend his kits without hesitation.

The golden washer you saw sounds like the one which goes under the rewind crank. It likely fell off when you removed the top cover.

Kuuan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 06:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank's a lot again Reiner, the pin is in place now

I also had read somewhere that there may not be any difference between CC and CCN besides the name, at least no visible difference.

Sometimes I feel very tempted to buy a few cameras here, I sure would if somebody requested me to find his rare camera of choice. a risky offer though..

looking much forward to taking my first photos with this camera ( light seals still missing, ..tomorrow..)

cheers,
Andreas

Kuuan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank's a lot Donnie for your valuable input!

There is also a washer 'under' the rewind crank? Then it must have been this one!
I had thought that it might have come from between the plastic tube that presses the shutter and the shutter release part fixed on the cover of the camera, since one thing I did to get the cocking lever to return was to a washer between this plastic tube and the part above and it helped.

thank's a lot for the info of the articles. Unfortunatley I could not view nor download the pdf - I am on a PC with japanese OS, I am not able to read japanese to tamper with it, and sometimes clicking on pdfs online would not open them, but instead a new page opens saying 'done' though the page is empty.

maybe soembody could send it to me via an email?

thank you very much again for all your kindness,

enjoy your day,
Andreas

Kuuan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

with the help of member Reiner I did some tweaking and put new light seals, now the camera seemes to behave normally.
The first roll of film is loaded, hopefully they will come out well!

cheers,
Andreas

Ekim
Tinkerer
Username: Ekim

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI every one! just gotten a canon GIII Q17 canonet from trip store.was so dirty the viewfinder was almost like covered with fungus.i manage to cleaned it,its like new,managed to cleaned the lens from the interior.but then i was surprised the shutter wont release.i can swing the lever but does not engage for releasing the shutter.anyone knows the problem?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration