Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 124G - stiff speed and apertu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica 124G - stiff speed and aperture dial knobs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xalbert76
Tinkerer
Username: Xalbert76

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear all.

The speed and the aperture dial knobs on my Yashica 124G are hard to turn. The speed dial is very stiff at 1/250 and 1/500s and the aperture dial at both limits, i.e. f/22 and f/3.5. We live in a dusty area and I think some dust got in. After searching the web I found that the problem could be fixed by removing the knobs and lubricating. I was able to remove the decorative leatherette below which I can see a tiny opening. Does anyone have an idea how to proceed, i.e. how to actually disassemble the knob ?

Thanks for your help.

Roman

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 592

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have the leatherette off, you can see that there are 2 parts to the metal panel, the outer edge and the inner part that includes the knobs and the rings around the lenses. Remove the 5 screws from the inner part and lift it off of the camera, it will bring the knobs with it. Now you can clean and lubricate the knobs. There is a sketch of this disassembly at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-158.html (scroll down a bit, there's some other stuff on that page too).

However, I have a feeling that you'll find the stiffness is not in the knobs but in the shutter. Since you have the front panel off anyway, you now have access to clean the shutter and get everything working smoothly.

Xalbert76
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick. I meant that I removed the leatherette that covers the knobs (the two circular patches). I understand now that I have to lift the leatherette from the large area around the lens. I can see the screws now. I will post back how it went.

Xalbert76
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, I lubricated the speed dial and it now works flawlessly. I can even turn to bulb which I have never seen before. However, the issue with the aperture dial seems to be more serious. When I turn to f11 and larger apertures the right edge of the brass aperture gear hits the screw attached to the speed dial knob. I can see that it would help if I removed a piece of the middle liner (the thin layer or brass) that surrounds the speed dial screw. The aperture dial would then barely miss the speed dial screw and I could turn to f11 and larger apertues. What do you think about this ? The camera was never before opened and thus this seems to be a design issue.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 603

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It certainly was not designed to do that. I'd look for a cause of the original problem before making changes.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration