Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ideas for removing snap rings? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Ideas for removing snap rings? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two Zeiss-Ikon Nettar folders both of whose middle (or alternatively rear) lens elements need to come out for cleaning. Both are locked in by evil-looking snap rings sitting right next to the lens glass and embedded rather deeply in their grooves. Even with micro snap ring pliers it is very difficult for me to imagine how those are going to come out without damaging the glass. Anyone got any tips for removing these safely?

August

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 223

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If they have holes in them the pliers or draftsman deviders. I have done some with a thin blade or pin behind the ring center. But as you say be careful. Don

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 224

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe Rick Oleson has an idea if he sees this post..Don

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. These are not the type of ring that unscrews. They have to be pried out. I think a micro screwdriver inserted under one end and gently forcing it up and away from the thread must be the way to go. It probably makes sense to start by sticking a piece of removable painter's masking tape over the glass to protect it.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 371

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are quite correct with the choice of a micro screwdriver as the tool. However, the choice of masking tape as a method of protection is unwise. Use a piece of old negative - cut the end to the radius of the ring - and hold it in place with a small piece of double sided tape if you want.

You may find that if you use a flat wooden tooth pick, to stop the ring snapping back into the grove, the removal becomes less of a problem. Use one end of the ring as the fulcrum point, to lift the other end out of the groove. Place the tooth pick into the gap and the reposition the screwdriver to lift the ring out of the grove. Do not allow the end of the ring that is still in the groove, to flick out over the lens surface. The ends can be quite sharp, and are even capable of cutting through the film stock used as protection.

I always round off the ends using a fine diamond file or suitable stone - cuts down the risk of damage on reassembly etc.

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn. I just tried your method and learned why they are called snap rings. After retrieving it from behind the desk, I am now rounding the ends. I can see that eye protection is a good idea during this operation.

Now I'm a little stumped though. I guess I expected the lens element to pop right out when the ring was removed, but it didn't. I'm trying to figure out the safest way to pop it out of there.

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to follow up, this little adventure ended happily. The glass was gently pried out and cleaned, put back together (with slightly less snap in the snap ring in case I have to do this again) and one more classic is now returned to the ranks of the functional.

In the course of all of this, I came across telltale scrapes and scratches which indicated that someone else had tried to do this previously, but given up. That always makes me feel like Indiana Jones stumbling over the skull of a previous adventurer.

Anyway thanks Don and Glenn for the tips.

August

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 374

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah yes, eye protection - Sorry! I tend to forget about this as I need to wear glasses all the time. From the onset of my shooting days, I have always specified shatter proof lenses. Judging by the dings that various pairs have picked up over the years, my glasses have stopped quite a few sore eyes - maybe even worse.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 594

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To lift out a snug element, I have a little stick with suction cups on both ends - I think it was made for grinding valves - which sort of works sometimes. Micro tools has a better one, a squeeze bulb with a suction cup around the opening at the end... that should grab the element pretty well without marking it.

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another snap ring gave me a lesson tonight. This time I tried to take out rear snap ring holding in the back element in a Nettar 515/2. This one is bigger, stiffer, and nastier than the ones that hold in the middle element. So much so that the glass couldn't take the strain when it started to flex. So much for one 10.5cm f6.3 Novar. And even with the lens broken, the ring still won't come out.

Well, no big deal. The fungus which was why I was trying to remove this element had probably scarred the lens anyway, and the front element and Derval shutter are salvageable, for what they are worth (which is not a lot!). I had been thinking of souping up this body and bellows, which are in good shape, with a better lens/shutter combo and now am free to do that. Still, wrecking optics is no fun, especially since I can't figure out what I could have done differently to prevent it -- other than limit myself to removing the smaller snap ring in future cameras.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration