Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Pen F Sticky Shutter and Lens... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus Pen F Sticky Shutter and Lens Reassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

_nathan
Tinkerer
Username: _nathan

Post Number: 12

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently picked up a Pen F that is quite dirty. Anyway, all shutter speeds below 1/60th are hanging up. Would getting to the shutter mechanism be difficult? I have never worked on an SLR style shutter. Also, the lens has come apart into 3 pieces [The mount, focusuing ring, optics/aperture ring]... any tips on reassembly? Thank you for your time.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think a CLA is going to be required for your shutter problem. I fixed a Pen F with similar shutter issues by flooding the shutter gears under the base plate with lighter fluid, but I can't recommend that in good conscience. It was many years ago, and I don't recall the details. As for your lens - which lens is it? It's always good to specify which lens you want reassembly info on - they can be different.

_nathan
Tinkerer
Username: _nathan

Post Number: 13

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you are correct, my apologies. It came with the standard Zuiko 1:1.8 38mm lens. With all the tinkering I have done with TLRs lighter fluid has done the trick, but like I said I am not experienced with SLR repair. I paid $5 for the camera so removing the baseplate and flooding the shutter mechanism, even if it goes wrong, is fine with me. However when I had the baseplate off yesterday and was studying all that I could see I was unable to identify the shutters timing mechanism. Thanks for your help.

Best,

N.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 51

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Frankly it's been too many years since I did the lighter fluid thing, and I remember that another poster (back on Usenet, that's how long ago it was) gave me directions as to where to put it. It was supposed to only be a temporary fix, but the camera never gave me a bit of trouble after that. Like you, I got the Pen F cheap (it was sitting in a thrift store), and I eventually sold it. It had the 38/1.8 as well, but my lens had no issues.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 596

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The escapement is just below the shutter speed dial on the front of the camera, and of course spaced a little bit back behind the front panel. I haven't done this, I don't know whether you'd be better off trying to get to it from the baseplate or removing the shutter speed dial and going in that way. The viewfinder screen is not too far away, so be careful not to get any fluid into that area.

Thuggins
Tinkerer
Username: Thuggins

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Send it to Frank Marshman - [email protected]

He has repaired two Pen F's for me. He's fast, inexpensive and does a great job. Even if you only paid $5 for the camera, don't risk ruining a classic.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration