Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Ikonta aperture blades. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zeiss Ikon Ikonta aperture blades. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berkbs
Tinkerer
Username: Berkbs

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there

I got hold of a prewar Zeiss Ikon Ikonta /without light meter) with uncoated Tessar. The speeds are off, and pne of the aperture blades is stuck. I need to remove the shutter assembly to take a look but I do not know how to do that. I need help with how to remove the shutter from the bellows. Any pointers? And will it be a lot of work to fix the aperture blades?

Thanks, Berk

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that removing the shutter assembly from the bellows is a simple matter of unscrewing the retaining ring from the back. Open the back with the camera folded, you'll see the outermost ring around the rear lens element has either 2 or more likely 4 notches for a spanner wrench. I have not done this on an Ikonta but on the very similar Nettars of the same period it is pretty straightforward. Once this ring is removed the whole shutter/lens will fall right off the front of the bellows, there is nothing else holding it on.

You may not need to do this though. Probably, without taking off the shutter, you can just open it from the front to get access to the shutter (a Compur I assume) and that will certainly enable you to clean the works which may fix the issue with the speeds. To get at the shutter blades you will have to do more disassembly but, again, it could be either on or off the camera.

August

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On fixing the blade, choose whichever shutter on Dan Mitchell's page is most like yours (probably Compur or Compur Rapid) for a guide on tearing down. Personally, I would try like the dickens to loosen up the shutter blades with as little disassembly as possible.

http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/index.php

Note one pitfall which is concealed by Dan's glib first sentence, "Remove the front and rear lens elements from the shutter." On some folders (Voigtlander, Agfa) that's easy. On Zeiss-Ikons it is hard. The lens elements immediately adjacent to the shutter blades on both sides are held in place by snap rings that are difficult to take off safely. See my recent thread on the subject.

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/12557.html?1213323761

As detailed there, I am batting .500 with these, having removed a (middle element, easier) snap ring successfully two nights ago but destroyed a Novar last night while trying to remove the (rear element, tougher) snap ring. I don't think I would have the nerve to try it on a Tessar. So if I were you I would just hope and pray that cleaning the shutter works frees up the stuck blade.

August

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 597

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have ONE aperture blade stuck, that means that its pivot pin has come out of its hole in the actuating plate. This usually indicates a pretty serious case of gummy blades, so between having to clean them and having to maneuver that pin back into its hole, you may just have to bite the bullet and do the disassembly. As noted above, it may not be necessary to remove the shutter from the bellows to do this.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration