Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta MD 24mm stiff focus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta MD 24mm stiff focus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 55

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta MD 24mm lens whose focus is pretty stiff. I am getting good results from this lens, so I am wondering if it would be worth while to try to re-grease the helicoil. Is there a real chance that I will mess things up, or is this an easy job?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 52

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this the MD Rokkor-X where the front element rotates during focus, or the later plain MD that doesn't? I think the helicals are different in each, so make sure any advice you get is applicable to the one you have. I have the older of the two, it's a very nice lens.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 56

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the newer plain MD version.

Sigkyrre
Tinkerer
Username: Sigkyrre

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 05:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's anything like the 135 f2.8 MD, you can get to the helicoils by taking off the lens mount ring. I assume there are two rails in there that keep the front element from rotating. Take these off and you should be able to twist off the outer part of the lens. Have a piece of tape ready and make a mark where the helicoils no longer engage. This is your starting position when you replace it.

You should use a grease that don't evaporate over time. You can get purpose made grease from micro-tools if you're in the states. They also have a German outlet that ships to Europe, but they are way more expensive for some reason.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I will get some of that grease from micro tools and will give it a go. I've worked on a 35mm Rokkor HG lens before and I did not mark the spot where the two pieces come apart... what a pain to get the infinity focus right again. I will not make that mistake twice! Thanks for reminding me.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 59

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I attempted to take that MD 24mm lens apart and could not figure it out. Got it back together again and it seems to be focusing correctly. I decided it would be too expensive to mess it up, and it is still very usable, even with stiff focus.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration