Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RC dim rangefinder/scratche... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus 35RC dim rangefinder/scratched lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berkbs
Tinkerer
Username: Berkbs

Post Number: 17

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there

I have one of these cameras and I really enjoy using it. I just shot a roll of slides with it, the slides came back well exposed and sharp with acceptable contrast.

It has problems though. The rangefinder patch is very dim, and the front lens is scratched. The pictures came back fine so I think the lens is ok, but I have a hard time focusing sometimes even in daylight. Does anybody here have a spare rangefinder for this camera? Or a broken camera with ok rangefinder? Or parts from another camera that will fit and still be accurate (and linear)?

I have cleaned it first of course. (didnt clean the glass that sits at an angle (45 degrees) and reflective on only one side) It got a little better but not much.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 165

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the pictures are fine it sounds like you are already well on the way to estimating the distance yourself without the need of a rangefinder. It's not really necessary with a lens of that focal length. And with practice you get better and better. Many cameras of that type made without rangefinders.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 599

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you're in the USA you can buy beamsplitter stock from Edmund Scientific to fix the rangefinder; in the meantime, this trick may make it easier to use:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration