Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax T - exposure meter and self-ti... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax T - exposure meter and self-timer failure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone

My Contax T has occasional exposure meter and self-timer problems. Could someone help, pointing repair works in the right directions?

On unfolding the lens cover the camera's exposure meter sometimes fails to switch on. Therefore, the electromagnetic shutter does not fire when the release button is pressed. Only the winding mechanism activates the exposure meter / shutter mechanism. That means losing the first frame after the camera has been switched off.
The self-timer also fails to trigger the shutter quite often. During the countdown the LED lights up and at the end there is a slight ''click'', but no shutter function.

I guess some contacts of the electronics need cleaning, but where should I start? I opened the top housing, but could not find the right spot to polish.

Many thanks
Vinzenz
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The answer to my own problem:

Two brass elements under the release button make contact when the button is pushed down. Without pressure the two elements should separate, which was not the case in my camera because one brass blade was lame and continually kept contact. I put some foam material under the spring blade to help it push up to the top, but still allow the release button to be pushed down. It now works splendidly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration