Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minox B shutter release Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minox B shutter release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 52

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought my first Minox (the B) at the flea market because it was just so darned cute. The body is unscarred, the meter is accurate, but the shutter releases on it's own before the camera is fully open. "T" locks it open until I close the camera. A repairman with a good reputation quoted an overhaul of the camera at $80.00 with shipping. It's worth it to me, but... I'm a curious cat- I wanna open it up and see it's little guts, but everything is sure to be tiny! Is this a repair I should try myself (I've recurtained a Praktina and fried a D30)? How do I do it? Thanks, folks.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 604

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have notes on the Minox at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-32.html , but I don't recommend it unless you have very small fingers and eyeballs. That camera is TINY inside, the shutter springs are barely big enough to pass a straight pin through the coils. The most common problem with them seems to be damaged shutter blades; fortunately, it is possible to obtain replacement blades (or at least it was last time I checked). The link for blades is on that same page....

Petercat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Rick.
Y'know, after seeing what's involved in disassembling the tiny little thing... $80.00 at DAG doesn't seem like a lot... in fact, it seems like a great price! I think I'll limit myself to 35s and larger.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 605

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it's not something that you want to change your mind about after you've got it all disassembled.... and DAG is a good guy.

Petercat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 56

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, That could get expensive, if you could find a repairman willing to tackle the reassembly at ANY price! I still remember buying my first motorcycle as a disassembled basket case. I learned a LOT about motorcycles that summer!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 606

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Honda shop in Champaign Illinois where I was in college posted 4 different hourly rates:
- Standard
- If you watch
- If you help
- If you tried to fix it first

obviously, increasing at each line.....

Petercat
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The up side is that I couldn't ride the bike until I had a LOT of time invested in it... too much to risk damaging it by riding stupid. Kept me safe. I think my daughter's first car will be "some assembly required"...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration