Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Reassembling Compur Shutter. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Reassembling Compur Shutter. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ham
Tinkerer
Username: Ham

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I dismantled it, now I'm trying to re-mantle it having flood cleaned it and it appears (?) cleared the blockage on the leaves.

Here are the pictures http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/londondailyphoto/CompurShutter - problem is that the actuating ring locks solid going through the firing action. I'm fairly certain that the problem is with the sprung pawl that engages with what I think must be the slow speeds mechanism, there should be some way for the speed ring to move it out the way of the mech, but I can't see how. I'm also not happy with the position of what I think must be the high speed spring - the tail of the spring doesn't look as if it is in the right position.

Once again, all help gratefully received.

Ham
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update - I read what I wrote and worked out where the pawl goes - doh! still not sure about that durn speed spring.

Ham
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back together again - fast speeds seem to work, slow speeds and self timer a bit sluggish.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done. They are not a particularly easy shutter to work on.
Its possible that the two clockworks trains for self timer and slow speeds may need further cleaning. I like to remove these from the shutter to do this.
The slow speed adjustment can be a bit tricky to get right after you replace it.
If you PM me with the shutters top speed and your email, I will see if I can find some service info on it.
In the mean time here's another link for U.

http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=compur&WEBMGR=aee530985e5d8d0f4c8302b8e 643db3e

Cheers
Greg

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 178

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 05:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll just add this as an aside, as I don't think Ham has gone about in the same way. But it might help someone else.

I recently flood-cleaned a compur shutter in a Retinette with dodgy slow speeds. I wasn't able to undo the ring securing the shutter, so had to do it in situ - not really advisable if you can avoid it! - drain and soak as much liquid out as I could, then dry out the remainder with a hairdryer. NOTE - in a well-ventilated area! I don't want to blow myself up!

I had to do this several times before the slowest speed got near to 1 second, as opposed to about 1.5 where my previous efforts had left it - so you may need several cleans before you get the desired effect.

Greg - I have a 1930s Compur with a 1/400 top speed. If it's not too much of an imposition, could you see if you have any data on that model, please?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Ham
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg - thanks for that. As it happens, I'd decided to lube it and then I read in your link: "The Compur can usually run "dry" without any lubrication. However, on older shutters it is sometimes necessary to add a tiny bit of oil to the bearings in the slow speed assembly" which made me feel a whole lot betterer ;-)

Shutter is now firing on all cylinders including self timer! And from the look of it - using the microphone technique I'm sure I read on this forum somewhere - all speeds are within 10%!! Am I pleased! Here's the screen shot of what shutter timings using audio looks like http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/londondailyphoto/CompurShutter/photo#5216536088322 255762

I'll run a film through this weekend and see how it turns out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration