Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Replacement knob for an Ansco folder? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Replacement knob for an Ansco folder? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ldphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Ldphoto

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. I recently acquired an Ansco Titan in nice condition, except that it's missing its film winding knob. The post that the knob attaches to in order to wind the film is there, but the top part that you grip is missing.

Anyone know if I can get a replacement, or, if you know of anything else that can be used in its place? It doesn't have to be the exact replacement -- anything that will allow me to turn the post is fine with me. It appears to be a simple friction post/knob assembly, the post is about 1/8" in diameter, and has ridges that I assume allow for the knob to grip.

As it is, the post is too narrow and doesn't stick up far enough for me to turn it with my fingers. Maybe I can just get something at the hardware store that will work?

Here's what one of these cameras looks like with both knobs. The one I'm missing is the one with the arrow on top:

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00CUFU

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 376

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find a friendly model engineer, who will soon turn you up a replacement knob. All it needs is a grubscrew to retain the knob on the splined portion of the shaft - the knob will only need a plain hole that is a snug fit on the splines and the grubscrew will grip on the splines. A quick and simple job for anybody with a lathe.

Ldphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Ldphoto

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, that's helpful, especially for the terminology. I didn't know what to call these parts! Much appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration