Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica-D shutter cover removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Yashica-D shutter cover removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Typhillips
Tinkerer
Username: Typhillips

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all! I'm new to the forum.

My uncle recently sent me a Yashica D TLR that has a couple of [hopefully minor] problems.

1. The shutter speed selection dial is extremely stiff and difficult to move.
2. There seems to be a problem with the frame counter mechanism such that the film feeding disc is not tensioned enough and slips a bit at the beginning of the roll. This causes frame 1 to start a few frames after it is supposed to.

I am currently attempting to DIY problem #1. I chipped off the leatherette and removed the screws for the shutter cover. However, I can't seem to figure out how to get this off due to the shutter cocking lever being in the way. It's strange because the self timer and flash sync levers have cutouts, but there is nothing for the cocking lever. I found some information about removing the cover on the Mat 124G, but it wouldn't have this problem because the shutter is self-cocking.

As a sidenote, I suspect the cause of problem #2 is that some spring in the frame counter mechanism isn't providing enough tension on the film feed disc. This undoubtedly involves major disassembly, which I'm not sure I'm up to. But I'm wondering if there is some type of kludge to provide some additional tension.

I am probably missing something really obvious on the shutter cover. Any advice from the helpful folks on this forum would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you!
Ty

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 611

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ty:

The little knob on the cocking lever unscrews. It has a LEFT HAND thread, which means that you have to turn it CLOCKWISE to loosen it... at least this was the case on the one that I serviced. Proceed very gently unscrewing the knob until you're sure you're going the correct direction, to avoid stripping the threads. Once you have the knob off, the lever should slip through the slot.

Typhillips
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Thank you so much for that information. I had tried removing the knob but didn't realize it had a reverse thread! Now it all makes sense....

Now I have the cover off and can access the shutter. It seems the problem is caused mostly by the friction between the moving disc (the one that actually interfaces with the shutter mechanism) and the thin stationary disc on top of it that has the shutter speeds printed on it. I cleaned both but there still is a lot of friction. I would imagine a tiny dab of lubricant would improve this - any suggestions would be welcome (light sewing machine oil??).

As far as my frame counter problem, upon closer examination it appears that the film feed disc is worn in a few spots, causing it to slip a fair amount when the spool is empty or almost empty. I haven't thought of an easy fix yet. I imagine I'll probably have to come up with a replacement, which means ripping the leatherette off the right side and taking apart the frame counter.. ugh! :-)

Thanks again for the tip. Much appreciated!

Ty

Typhillips
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I oiled the two discs on the shutter. I used a tiny bit of the oil I had for hair clippers - seemed to be "light" enough. This alone made very little improvement. What DID make an improvement was slightly loosening the retaining ring that holds the "discs" on. It's now about 1/3 of a turn looser than the factory setting, which seemed too tight. The shutter speed selection knob is still stiff, but at least usable now without damaging fingers!

I've now deduced that the frame counter issue is caused by the plastic being a little chewed up where the film feed disc attaches to the left side of the body (when viewing from the back). This would be the side OPPOSITE of the focus and film advance knobs. There is a little rail here where the disc mechanism slides as the roll diameter builds. This problem causes a little additional friction which is enough to make the feed disk slip a bit on an empty (or nearly empty) spool.

I cannot think of a good fix for this. I've tried using a needle file to gently file the plastic a bit there, in hopes of making it less rough, but it is really tight in there and very difficult to
work. I really want to avoid total disassembly but it looks inevitable.

If anyone else out there has experienced a similar problem on the Yashica TLRs I would love to hear any sage advice you might have.

Thanks!
Ty
I cannot really think

Typhillips
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about that last bit on my previous post - must have been a sentence fragment I forgot to delete.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 613

Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if the retaining ring still seems too tight, there should be no harm in backing it off a little further until operation is comfortable. i don't have any magic advice for the film advance issue, i'm afraid.....

Typhillips
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick. It seems that there is sort of an ideal margin of tightness and my view is that the factory setting is just a bit too tight... at least on my shutter.

I'm trying to decide now if I should give up on the film advance issue and send it to Mark Hama to see if he can do anything. The cost of a CLA is probably equal to what these cameras sell for, but I did get it for free...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration