Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Resetting focus on Voigtlander Bessa Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Resetting focus on Voigtlander Bessa « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ham
Tinkerer
Username: Ham

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just when I thought I was out of the woods......

When I went to set up the focus on the lens, I discovered that this Bessa doesn't have any adjustment! (at least, I can't see any)

Here is: a picture of the face and the outer bezel.

As you can see, there is no adjustment - just two holes in the outer bezel and the lens mounting. The picture shows the face adjusted to infinity focus, and instead of being at just before 12 o clock, it is at about 2 o clock.

All I can think of is to cut off the tab and make up my own stop, but I don't suppose that is going to be pretty. Any alternative ideas, please folks?

Ham
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been looking some more. Doesn't help the focus, but it might. Infinity focus has less than the 350o on the dial to fully "screwed in". That suggests to me I need to shim the shutter assembly in or out..... any idea which it is? If I do that to the right place, it <em>may</em> cease to be a problem.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello again.
Often the front lens is mounted using a multi start thread. You may have it screwed in on the wrong thread. Carefully unscrew the front element and after it is fully unscrewed keep turning until you feel a slight click. That will be the next start point. Try screwing it back from that point and see where you end up. You will have to have a few tries until the lens screws right in and stops just past the infinity stop. There may be 3 or 4 starting points.
After its back on in the correct point you can check the infinity focus on a ground glass or some magic tape across the film plane. When thats ok, fit the trim ring so that the pointer is at infinity. It should be pretty close.
Cheers
Greg

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 114

Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remeber correctly the outter bezel has 2 set screws. Put a ground glass on the film plane, focus the lens on the film plane to infinity, then set the screws to the proper indications.

Ham
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greg - thanks for that - I found the right thread by accident. It still doesn't seem to be perfect, I suspect the build and position of the lens unit.

I also found an excellent substitute for ground glass - the "glassine"(?) that's used for negative sleeves.

Paul, thanks but the stop is part of the bezel that screws to the lens unit, so no adjustment is possible

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration