Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME super - 1 stop under exposure Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax ME super - 1 stop under exposure « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lorriman
Tinkerer
Username: Lorriman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks,

Any pointers to why my Pentax ME super is under-exposing by a reliable 1 stop? The meter always gives me 1 stop less than my Minolta xg-m or my digicam (all set to the same aperture).

I have swapped batteries, and cleaned the battery contacts.

The 1 stop under exposure suggests to me a simple cause, but I don't know enough about these things.

There is one possibility I can think of: as a newbie I didn't realise the lens needed to click in, and the resistance of the mount was sufficient to make me think that the lens was mounted. So I practice shot the camera with an improperly mounted lens. I realised my error before using my first film.

As it happens the photos came out fine since most needed 1 stop underexposure anyway (dark backgrounds) and I was using Fuji Reala with its large exposure latitude.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 78

Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

proper film speed set? filters in the way?

mind you, those other cameras may have different metering cells or metering patterns. perhaps try again on a uniform colour background in uniform lighting (SUNLIGHT!!!)...

you know, it could be a half stop under, the meter readout doesn't do half stops.

if you're sure it's one stop, you could always compensate for it...

Lorriman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I checked and double-checked. Did the uniform light thing in unchanging light.

I did test for half stop and it is a full stop of underexposure.

I would rather not be compensating: but at least it is reliable.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 79

Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

then if nothing else works... your meter must be fuzzed. i'd check it periodically to make sure it doesn't move any further from where it should be. electronics are like that sometime...

the good news: not hard to find a replacement ME super... but if you want to swap electronics- it's not worth it unless you are like a ninja with a soldering iron.

good luck!

Lorriman
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, thanks for the advice.

I haven't soldered anything for 20 years, so I don't think I'll be trying that one.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration