Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax-A 50mm f/2 Front Element Group Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax-A 50mm f/2 Front Element Group « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mrapollinax
Tinkerer
Username: Mrapollinax

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a A50 1:2 lens that I have been able to take apart and reassemble. However the reason for taking it apart is a speck of dust/fungus which appears to be behind the first lens element in the main group. I have been able to take the main grouping out but it is contained in a funnel shaped metal jacket of some sort. Taking a look at it I cannot figure out how to take the elements out of this jacket for me to inspect and clean them. I am mainly doing this for 1. my own education and 2. it would cost more to send this lens in for repair than it is actually worth. If anyone can point me in the right direction of how to disassemble the main grouping I would greatly appreciate any help/input you can provide.

Mrapollinax
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So in further inspection I see that there are two tabs cut out of the inner portion holding the front element in place. I do not have a spanner to provide rotational torque on the piece and so far using a small slotted screw driver to provide angular torque is not loosening the part. Can I buy the correct spanner at a Home Depot or other hardware store?

Scanogram
Tinkerer
Username: Scanogram

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt you will find it at a hardware. Micro-Tools has them but may be more than you want to spend. You may be able to get a grip on it with a rubber bottle stopper (mine came from a wine making supply). Also if you have some sort of grinder you could grind down the tips of a cheap pair of needle nose pliers to fit.

Mrapollinax
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I might try the bottle stopper if I can find one. There are also a couple mom-and-pop hardware stores around that I can try.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration