Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax MEF shutter stuck open Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax MEF shutter stuck open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slmmecca
Tinkerer
Username: Slmmecca

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have no idea how to go about fixing it can anyone help me out? my local shop doesnt fix this model.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 80

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if it is like the ME super at all... you may want to 'reset' it.

take off the bottom cover. there is a shaft powered by the wind lever, and there is likely a catch holding it back. it should be black in colour. lift up this catch using a pair of tweezers, a small screwdriver or whatever while winding the film advance lever. this may help.

or not at all... I've never seen a MEF before but i've read that it's similar to a ME super...

hope this helps

Broke
Tinkerer
Username: Broke

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I should read the threads before posting.
I reset the camera and now the wind lever is working, however the catch will only engage on about every 5th or so wind. If I wind it incriments it seems to engage almost every time. Will graphite help the problem or is that a bad thing?

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you have what every ME super owner will experience now or later.

there is a rubber bumper on the mirror cage that sits on an axle of the mirror catch. this bumper deteriorates with age, and has now become gooey, slowing the mirror catch. the mirror spring can not be cocked, and the wind lock can not be engaged.
but if you wind slowly enough, the catch will work.

you must take it apart to fix it. it's quite a bit of work. if you are good at soldering, you will make it (i'm not). lots of itty bitty parts.

a good guide:
http://www.mypentax.com/PentaxMeSuper.html

IF THE MIRROR CAGE IS STUCK, YOU MISSED A WIRE!
(learned that one the hard way...)

Broke
Tinkerer
Username: Broke

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After playing with it a bit it started working. It seems that you are right though. It sat stuck open for 15 to 20 years. I'm thinking it dried all the way out.I'll run a roll and see if it works. I imagine I'll end up having to replace it though. Is there a source of parts?
I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 86

Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as for parts... I can send them to you. not too sure about that bumper, though, I just cleaned mine up and put it back (in retrospect, probably a dumb idea).

good luck!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration