Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XD-11 (XD or XD-7) shutter sp... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta XD-11 (XD or XD-7) shutter speed display problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 46

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Minolta XD-11 has a peculiar problem: in Manual and Shutter Priority modes, the speed display in the finder does not correspond to the speed set on the shutter speed dial.

The shutter speed dial is correct - the camera fires at the speed set but, the finder display is 5 steps off.

Obviously, this must be a mechanical coupling problem - I removed the release button and the shutter speed dial but, cannot see any linkage to the strip with the shutter speeds. Is this similar to the old SRT's? Does anybody have links or ideas how to access the linkage?

Many thanks,

Jan

Aaron
Tinkerer
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a string which couples the dial and the display. You have to remove the top to reach the string. If my memory serves me right the string has to loop around a pulley once. The pulley need to be oiled when you put the string back. Please search in the archive for steps of top removal.

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Aaron,

And - thanks for the reply. I thought that a string might be used, similarly to the old SRT series.

I'll search the archives, even though I hope that the top removal procedure will be fairly straightforward.

Best,

Jan

Aaron
Tinkerer
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are some tips, just in case you cannot find anything useful from the archive:
-the rewind side needs a lot of care because there are quite a few small parts. It is advisable to draw a diagram or take some notes to help you put the things back.
-on the winding side the round thing on top of the winding crank is actually a screw-in ornamental cover under which is a brass nut holding the winding crank to the winding mechanism.
-you don't have to touch the eye piece shutter at the back.

Sigkyrre
Tinkerer
Username: Sigkyrre

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another tip is to close the eye piece shutter, otherwise you may damage a flexible circuit board as you lift the top cover off.

I haven't touched the viewfinder display mechanism so I can't help you there. It looks very finicky, at list for my big fingers.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration