Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax ME Super « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomcat0818
Tinkerer
Username: Tomcat0818

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey folks,

Have a problem with a Pentax ME Super. Neither the the Manual or Auto modes reliably produce pictures (usually result in mostly or totally blank rolls). When I first received the camera the shutter had a sticking problem. I took it in for bumper replacement and the tech also 'rebuilt' the shutter mechanism after he said it needed overhaul (so basically a $95 cleaning). I've made certain that the battery is good and that film is loaded correctly but the only setting where I can produce shots is 125x. The 2 other modes give me exposure setting indicator lights and do react to fStop changes and light levels but it does not seem to set the shutter speed as indicated.

I'm tempted to take it back to the shop but I've already spent enough money on this camera to probably afford a new canon and I'm just about at the end of my patience. Anyone out there have a clue as to what this could be and what my chances might be as to correcting it?

Thanks much!

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depending on how long the guarantee was. you might want to take it back

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 83

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok

well- is there a trend in the few properly exposed pictures? the M shutter fires in 3 modes- 1/2000, 1/125 and B. the last two are used for x-sync and bulb, the first is used on auto and manual. if the batteries are too low or the shutter solenoid (holds second shutterblade open for exposures slower than 1/2000) is busted, that may be your problem. if your shutter fires at 1/125 properly, that probably means that the shutter works to some extent. perhaps the solenoid was broken during the repairs or something.

so if outdoor pictures requiring a high shutter speed are vaguely properly exposed, then that might be your problem.

try opening the back, removing the lens and firing it at all sorts of speeds on manual. if they all look the same, the solenoid or something along the way is busted.

also try new batteries...

you may need to get a new shutter... not terribly too hard, but requires alot of digging in the ME super. yes, I've tried.

hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration