Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon QL17 Hotshoe problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon QL17 Hotshoe problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rhymeface
Tinkerer
Username: Rhymeface

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

A while back I asked on here about replacing a torn off hotshoe on an Canonet G3 QL17.

I was told that the hotshoe off of a Canonet 28 would be suitable and cheaper as far as canibalising parts from it goes. So I found an old 28 on eBay for a pittance and got to work fixing up the G3.

Due to the contacts on the 28 hotshoe not lining up with the contacts in the top of the G3, I had to remove the whole contact unit from the 28 (involved unsoldering the blocks the body contacts are mounted on in each camera and swopping them over).

Just put the top back on, wound it on, depressed the shutter release and BAM!..............nothing.

Camera goes off fine but the flash isn't going off.

I've double checked the flash is working and it's also triggered when you mount or remove it from the hotshoe (assuming it's switched on and charged).

Does anyone have any ideas what might not be set up right?

All help appreciated.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 622

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since you've unwired and rewired, it would probably be a good idea to check your connections.

The flash should not be triggering when you mount it into the shoe. This sounds like you may have a short from ground to the center pin in the shoe.

Connect an ohmmeter from the chassis to the large center pin in the hot shoe. The Ohmmeter should read infinity (no connection). Now open the shutter on the B setting and hold it open - the ohmmeter should go to zero.

If it doesn't, while still holding the shutter open, switch the ohmmeter lead from the large center pin to the smaller signal pin in the shoe and repeat. If the ohmmeter goes from infinty to zero now when you open the shutter, you have the wires reversed on the two pins.

Reversing the wires between the power and signal pins would cause the short and pre-firing that you describe, because there is very little resistance between the signal pin and ground, regardless of whether the shutter is open or closed.

Rhymeface
Tinkerer
Username: Rhymeface

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot Rick and thanks for the diagrams on your site. they helped a lot.

Just need to get me a ohmmeter now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration