Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM-10 With Slow Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus OM-10 With Slow Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug
Tinkerer
Username: Doug

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted. I just acquired a very clean Olympus OM-10 that has a slow shutter even with a fresh battery. I searched the posts and saw reference to a magnet that releases the second curtain. Does anyone know how to get at it? I looked at the on-line service manual and I really couldn't find what I needed.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 626

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the camera have film in it? In the OM-10 (and other Olympus automatics), the meter reads off of the film surface while the shutter is open, and the shutter stays open until it's seen the correct amount of light hit the film. If the camera has no film in it, the light is hitting the black pressure plate and not reflecting back to the sensor. Never assume that the AUTO speeds on an OM camera are off unless you've tested it with film.

Doug
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bulk load film so I made up a short dummy roll to put in the camera and with the camera pointed at a bright light source and then tripped it seems very slow to me. I will take your advice and run a roll through the camera over the weekend........thanks.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 627

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's certainly possible for it to be off, but checking the speeds on an OM10 with any reliability is almost impossible without specialized equipment. A roll of film is the easiest way to see how it's doing.

Doug
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wanted to report back on the results. I shot a roll of film while in Cleveland and got my chemicals out and developed it this morning. The results were very impressive....uniform density, great detail, even exposure. I guess the proof is in the doing. Rick, thanks for handing me a dose of patience; I really needed it. The camera is for my nephew who is entering college next week and is taking a film course. It should make a good "user".

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 667

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great news! Olympuses fool a lot of people that way, they are unique.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 194

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do tell your nephew to RTFM - in fact, bash him round the head with it until he does!

Having used an OM10 as a snapshot camera for years, I R someone else's FM to try to sort a problem and realised that for all these years I'd never twigged that it has DoF preview... I'd say that scores pretty highly on the muppetry scale...

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 668

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay, now i'm confused....

: ) =

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 195

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RTFM - Read The Manual (I'll let you guess the F bit).

But I bet you are confused as to how someone can be so damn dumb. I am! The blessed button even twitches under your hand when you fire the shutter and the aperture steps down... Gods, I can feel Jim Henson's hand as I type...

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 670

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh, that thing that they stuff into the box for extra padding! i think i have a drawer full of those somewhere......

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 196

Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only excuse I can come up with (mine was second-hand in pre-internet days) is that I didn't have a manual, and ended up with a not-very-easy-to-handle bundle of photocopy.

I'll stop beating myself up over it in a year or two...

Alexbuga
Tinkerer
Username: Alexbuga

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there.
I just bought an OM 10 today, and I spotted a problem with the aperture ring. it only allows me to turn it between f 16 & f 4.

Is the lens wasted ?

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 204

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say it depends on the lens, and what you want to do with it. If it's the standard 50mm Zuiko then you are only missing one stop so unless you intend to shoot everything with it wide open, you are not losing that much functionality. You will find that the shutter will need to run 1 stop slower in dim light, that's all.

The question is why is it doing it, and whether there's anything else wrong. If the blades stop down when you press the preview button (I think it's the lower of the two buttons on the back of the lens, as you lok at it on the camera), and spring back again smartly, I'd try it and see how it is to use, and how the pics turn out.

If it is unusable, they are common - as far as I know every new OM-system camera was sold with one, unless specified without when you ordered it. I don't know what prices would be like in Romania, but I suspect that camera repairs are probably cheap if you can find a repairman.

Hope that helps!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 710

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds weird.... as cheap as a good 50/1.8 is, i'd just replace it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration