Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Special camerashop finds? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Special camerashop finds? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 87

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at the local camera shop two days ago... and the lad showed me perhaps the most expensive lens I will ever see. any guesses?

well it comes in a box labeled "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar".

but the gem inside was made by Zeiss... the Hologon 15mm f/8 for Leica M. apparently only ~300 were made, and this sucker was complete, in box, with only normal wear. the finder was a bit foggy.

the price? he expected (I forget), and the ebay auction started at $8000. As far as I know, it hasn't been sold, I didn't see a single bid at 20 hrs left.

oddly enough, I didn't take any pics of it an didn't even save the ebay pics. and it's not likely that I'll ever see one of those again...

so, anyone else spot rare or extraordinary stuff?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My "find" wasn't a find inasmuch as a customer came in to a local shop years back with a Nikon S3M, asking the proprietor what it was worth. The punchline - he brought one S3M with him into the shop, but he had two! And had no idea of their value. The proprietor was an honest soul, and so I'm sure that a collector somewhere has them right now, and the one-time owner had a moment like those seen on Antiques Roadshow.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 61

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was in a camera store a few years ago when a woman walked in asking about cleaning up an old camera kit she had. The owner said it wasn't worth the cost of cleaning it all (dusty and stained) and offered her $100.00 for it. I jumped in before she could agree, and told her about what it was worth. I am no longer allowed in that store, and wouldn't go back anyway. She had a factory briefcase with two Praktina IIa bodies, four lenses, four finders, the electric motor, and the bulk film back. All looking as if they had been stored new, and never used. She let my wife sell it on ebay, it brought $1600.00.
I'd told her it was worth about $750.00! She was very happy, the camera shop owner was pissed, a win all around.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration