Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Missing Screw for Peckham Wray camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Missing Screw for Peckham Wray camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pfrey
Tinkerer
Username: Pfrey

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, One of the screws holding the focusing ring to the helical ring on my Peckham Wray 4x5 aerial /press camera is missing..Does anyone know what standard Wray used for the screws? Metric, SAE or BA? I took the screw to the local Fastenal, but their plastic index is worn and didn't really give me confidence...one size screw seem to fit an SAE index, and the other seemed metric..possible during the short WWII production, but I kind of doubt it. There's a place called British Fasteners that I can send a sample to, but before I went to the trouble, I figured I'd ask this forum. thanks

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 389

Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Depends on the diameter of the screw in question. Small diameters will be BA, larger ones could be BSF. There was a British Standard produced during WW11 that rationalised screw/thread sizes, in order to simplify supply. Many instrument makers followed this standard - not much choice really as only limited ranges produced. So unless Wray made their own fasteners or had large stocks, I guess it most likely will be BA - which as you will probably know is a metric pitch series. Hence your metric observation?

Pfrey
Tinkerer
Username: Pfrey

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Glenn. I guess I'll just send it off and see what the British Fastener guy says. thanks

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 390

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter,

If you can accurately measure the diameter - in both imperial and metric - I can send you some samples of BA and BSF screws. By accurate I mean to two decimal places, using a vernier caliper or micrometer. If we assume it is BA, a ball park figure for the diameter in inch or mm would allow me to send you the correct BA size and the size above and below - just to ensure you are covered. I have various head forms, but you may have to reduce the length. Feel free to email me directly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration