Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Broken set screw in FED 5 lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Broken set screw in FED 5 lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the set screws I'm guessing 1mm x 2mm with out measuring has one side or ear broken off luckily it was not tight so I was able to get it out but how to replace it? What a difference in the quality of the Russian cameras compared to the German cameras; all the screw heads and machining in general on the FED is pretty poor, most of the screw heads barely serviceable.
Jay

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 394

Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Screw slots on Russian grub-screws, are generally crap if the items has had DIY. One must use screwdriver blades that have been ground completely flat and fills the slot completely - any taper on the blade will immediately break off an 'ear'. It goes without saying that you must never over-tighten these little blighters!

As for spares, you have two choices. If you have proper machining facilities, it is a simple job to use a fine slitting saw to put a slot on a length of commercial 1mm screw. However the simplest route is to purchase some 'scrap' lenses from one of the East European dealers who trade on eBay. When I was into rebuilding and modifying Zorki !s, I got a shoebox full of lenses and bodies for £10. Got plenty of useable spares and two nice bodies after a bit of work. To be honest; it is far less pain to find a screw in a scrapper, than setting up and making the little sod.

As you say the machining is pretty poor on the 5, but this is no different to the engineering on any Russian consumer of that period. However, they do what it says on the box - if you do the maintenance.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 101

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally agree - and endorse Glenn's post - for the enlightenment of others.

Whilst Russian cameras do what they are supposed to do, their metallurgy is pure crap. Steel screws are super-brittle and break easily. Brass screws are even worse. If you encounter one which is left-hand threaded and you don't know of the LHT factor, the screwhead will shear easily.
Furthermore the aluminium chassis' are very soft and female threads will strip if you so much as look at 'em.

My practice with Russian cameras is "always a perfect fitting screwdriver" and always a little WD40 overnight before attempting to remove risky screws.

Jayd
Tinkerer
Username: Jayd

Post Number: 36

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I hope to find some replacements at reasonable cost, the problem these days is usually not the product cost but shipping it's almost take any part even complete cameras but shipping is $30.00. If not I'll make some thing. I have been a bit lax on custom grinding my screwdrivers you have so many you forget you still need to custom fit sometimes.
Proper grinding with a figure eight motion is also good maintenance to clean up wear and slight rounding, but it takes a very sharp stone (I use a diamond stone) and some patience. And sharp stone diamond on steel even better is the only way to get a true clean surface same for cutting blades you don't want to gouge.
Thanks guys

Jay

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration