Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Gossen Bisix 2 lightmeter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Gossen Bisix 2 lightmeter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 185

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of the above, which came in a box of bits. It seems to work, but I'm not sure in which conditions I'm meant to use the blind that slides over the cell. I presume it's for incident, rather than reflected, light (like the Leningrad 4 I was lent which I never got the hang of using...), but it would be nice to be sure!

Thanks,

Adrian

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 396

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are correct in your assumption on the use of the 'blind' - it is for incident light readings.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 188

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn, much appreciated. Free Bisix 2 manuals are thin on the ground, and it seemed silly to pay for one for that single question.

Adrian

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 397

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes- even Gossen's German site does not seem to list one. Strange as the company is usually very good at supporting their old equipment. I wonder if this meter was marketed under different names in Europe and US?

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 38

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have a look here:
http://www.myphotoweb.com/Gossen/pages/Bisix2/bisix2.htm
Scroll down to the bottom and click manual. By clicking into the different sections of the scanned manual (all jpg) you get them enlarged.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 190

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's great, Martin, thank you very much!

Adrian

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 39

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome!

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 398

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never paid any attention to this meter. Having become curious, I did a bit of digging. I wonder why Gossen produced this model in 1953? It does not give anything extra in the spec range, when compared to the rest of the models available in the mid 50s. The only real difference is the method of 'computing' the expose - the use of the large rotating 'computer wheel' (Gossen's description) with inner rotating data plates, instead of the small side wheel-as on the Sixtomat range etc.

Clearly the Bisix range, was the starting point for all Gossen meters that are designed around the 'computor wheel' system - ending with the superbly accurate Lunasix 3s. So perhaps they were testing the market with a 'new fangled shape'. From articles in the 1950s photographic press - it appears that photographers of the day, were not very receptive to design changes in their favorite equipment.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration