Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F301/N2000 aperture coupling ri... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Nikon F301/N2000 aperture coupling ring spring problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Defocusian
Tinkerer
Username: Defocusian

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 03:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all!

I just became the owner of an externally very neat looking Nikon F301, that sadly turned out to have a problem reading the lens aperture. I have a feeling that the problem might be with the aperture coupling ring, which is loose when no lens is attached and the notch of which fails to follow the edge of the lens aperture ridge like it does on my D300 and F100. In addition to there not being spring tension, the ring feels at least slightly stuck between approximately 11 and 12 o'clock positions, looking from the front of the camera. I didn't want to force it.

I'd appreciate insight into how hard this sounds to fix to more experienced forum members. Feeling dexterous and not risking my livelihood, if the problem is potentially solvable by just unscrewing the bayonet ring and reattaching a spring or two, I'm keen on giving it a try =)

Thanks in advance!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 647

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 04:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there no spring action at all, or is the ring just sticky? AI rings are located on the outside of the lens mount and are very exposed and vulnerable to dirt gumming them up. If you can feel any spring action in it, try wicking a couple of drops of lighter fluid in around the edges of the ring and see if it starts behaving more normally.

Defocusian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd have to say, no spring action at all.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 649

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure how it's constructed, I've never worked on that model. In the FM and FM2, the ring is spring-loaded through a cord that leads back into the body; in the EM series, there is a little spring-loaded gear that meshes with the ring and has a screwdriver slot in the face of it that you can wind up. In both cases, your first look will come by removing the bayonet flange. Your camera may be a variation on one or the other concept.

Defocusian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 05:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went ahead and opened the bayonet flange - the spring is badly corroded and cut. It seems that the spring should have circled the outer edge of the AI coupling ring.

With the bayonet flange removed and the AI coupling ring lifted as much as it moves freely, I can't see the other end of the spring, but there is a white plastic pulley in the body at the outside of the AI coupling ring at the bottom right of the bayonet mount. The spring seems to have traveled by the pulley to wherever it's attached to in the camera body.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration