Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta autocord speed lever very stiff Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta autocord speed lever very stiff « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Esmuz
Tinkerer
Username: Esmuz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi people.

My autocord speed lever is really stiff, I have to do a really big effort to move it, I am afraid to broke it.. but once moved, speeds seem to be ok... so I hold a small amount of hopefulness to solve it.

What about spray some oil through the lever window? may the oil reach the lens or cause some trouble? is there a specific oil to solve my problem? Would it be better to dismount the camera and lubricate the shutter mechanism a part?

thank you!!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 648

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The chances of causing a problem are about as good (maybe better) than the chances of improving it that way. The shutter needs to be cleaned before something breaks. While you're at it, have the focus helical checked too ... the focus lever of the autocord is known to break off if forced, and it's made of soft metal that can't be repaired.

Esmuz
Tinkerer
Username: Esmuz

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you Rick..

Bad news, everything on my autocord is messed up, the taking lens is not straight, it looks a little bit to he left, itīs like hinged. A part of that, all the front is tilted, I mean, the top part of the moving frontal is closer to the body than the below part, so I canīt focus to infinity at 10m the top part makes contact with the body before than the below one.

(I hope you understand my bad english)

I think that the camera was damaged or hit to the floor or something even worst..

I think it will be much more expensive trying to fix it than getting a new one.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 650

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nothing other than impact damage can cause that misalignment in an Autocord. It's probably repairable, if nothing is broken, but it would require a very major disassembly to remove the damaged parts and straighten them. It may be more practical to save this camera as a source of parts to support another on that's in better condition... or to sell it as a parts camera to help pay the cost of another.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration