Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Asahi Pentax outfit - was I a fool? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Asahi Pentax outfit - was I a fool? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 191

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time for a bit of speculation here!

Yesterday our local "antiques and craft" (AKA tat) market had a trader on it I hadn't seen before, who had two cameras - a Coronet box camera and an Asahi Pentax outfit. I didn't buy it - I didn't even ask the price in case I was tempted! Too many already - 4 SLRs and nearly fifty in total...

But it got me wondering as to just what you'd call sensible value. Ebay is a guide, but condition, and associated bits and pieces, can really slew results.

So... Asahi Pentax camera, model uncertain - not the earliest with the two shutter speed dials, but pre-Spotmatic. Very good cosmetically - shutter appeared to work but not tested exhaustively (again - might have been tempted!). Lens was a Super-Takumar f2-point-something, can't remember the focal length. ERC and a case for the whole outfit, plus a couple of filters - UV and yellow, I think.

Came with the clip-on CdS meter. I rather think it hasn't been used for a great many years as there were two boxes of flashBULBS in the case.

So... should I have grabbed it and ran, or was I better off leaving well alone? (you can tell it's Friday afternoon...)

Adrian

Zook
Tinkerer
Username: Zook

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adrian!
I have those same moments,sometimes going back and finding that my first impulse was usually the correct one.
I also buy & sell on Ebay,but never expect to pay or receive the actual value of an item.There are much better guides for that.
I think you were better off leaving it.
Doug

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 53

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!
What was the asking price?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 235

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like an H3v or H1A, They are both good user cameras. I am curious to the price too. Don

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 192

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't ask! Just in case I was tempted... Of course if it's there next week, and anyone is interested, I can always ask... I got the impression the dealer was a bit of a wide boy, but you never know - my people radar has some funny settings!

Don, a little Google suggests that you are spot on with the ID - I recall now that the lens had that strange cut-out as shown here: http://www.camerarepair.com/Used-Cameras/Pentax-SM-C210/Bodies-C212/Asahi-Pentax -SV-Honeywell-Pentax-H3v-P119/
Only difference is branding - obviously not a US import!

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 236

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good luck Adrian, you might just get a deal. These good mechanical cameras will out live any digital camera. They just need a little tlc or cla, he he .Don

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 193

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting...

He hadn't sold it yesterday, was asking £20 for an old Coronet box camera... but £50 for the SLR! Weird logic... Don, it's an S1a (ie without the Honeywell branding) so you were spot on, and it's a 55m f2 lens.

Wonder if he'll sell it while I'm away (off away from camera shops and email for a week or so)

Adrian

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 237

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adrian: If you are a collector the S1A is a good addition, I remember a light meter that coupled to the shutter dial, There was a lot of copying back then, very early pentax to look for had the slow speed dial on the front of the body like the screw mount leica did. Still all in all it is a good user with great lenses.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration