Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon EF - Missing battery covers Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon EF - Missing battery covers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chatnoir72
Tinkerer
Username: Chatnoir72

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how I did it but I've miss placed both the battery covers for my Canon EF. Does anyone know where I can get replacement covers or have any ideas of what I can use as a substitute? They would have to have air holes since I plan on using the Wein Zinc Air Cells as my replacement batteries for the old mercury ones. Canon EF Battery Covers

Chatnoir72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem fixed! I found a camera shop in Alaska that has a pair for me.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 404

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an Indian company who used to sell on eBay and on the internet. Unfortunately I cannot find their name - they also sell tools and have been mentioned in this context recently on the forum. This firm sells/sold replacement covers similar to the ones you want.

I am also sure that the A series motor drive connector cover has the same thread/diameter - you may need a bit of packing if the original covers had springs in them and a hole may need drilling. Scrap A series are very cheap, but first try a well established repair shop, I have purchased a number of body parts from my local repair shops.

Chatnoir72
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glen for the info. I live in north central washington and the last camera shop in our area closed at the beginning of the year. We were sad to see it go.
On another note, you wouldn't happen to know what type of release cable I can use with my Canon EF. I'm wanting to try a few new techniques with my camera and I'm not sure which one to purchase.

Joseph
Tinkerer
Username: Joseph

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't spend money on Wein cells for a Canon EF. This camera has a built-in voltage stabilizer and works fine with any battery with a 675 shape. I have the same camera and for years I use ordinary alkaline 675 batteries with good results.
I never used a release cable on this camera, but I think any standard cable will do: remember that the usual shutter speeds are mechanically governed and the electronic module is only for long exposures. Good luck.

Joseph
Tinkerer
Username: Joseph

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for my stupid mistake. I should have written: 625 type batteries instead of 675.
I checked the release button on my EF: it does not accept a standard mechanical release cable which fits to practically all my other camera's. The user's manual says nothing special about the use of release cables. It only mentions two cables sold by Canon: the release 30 and the release 50. I suppose the number reflects the length of the cable in centimeters.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 408

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to disagree Joseph, but the EF takes a completely normal Prontor fitting cable release. The manual clearly illustrates the two standard Canon cable releases with the standard taper threaded ends, and there are many illustrations of the shutter release button clearly showing the tapered female thread. Quite apart from the manual, I have used standard cable releases on my two EFs for years.

If you have a cable release that does not fit your EF, examine the male thread. There are a number - no doubt produced in China - that do not have the tapered 'Prontor' thread. The thread is just a normal parallel form, produced to rather dubious tolerances. This is why the parallel form will fit many makes of camera, but not the EF. The tapered thread on the EF is produced to a very tight tolerance, and will only accept a few threads of the taper threaded release. Hence the large diameter of the female thread is too small for the larger start diameter on the parallel version. On many cameras you can screw in the tapered threaded end much further - ie the large start diameter must be larger, hence the ability to screw in one of these 'bastard' threaded releases.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration