Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta x-370 repair question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta x-370 repair question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chaykak
Tinkerer
Username: Chaykak

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, film camera noobie here. I've been using my father's old minolta x-370, and after a roll of film successfully shot, it failed. While trying to load a new roll, the advance lever stopped working. It's not that it sticks, it just has no resistance at all: it goes through the entire rotation easily, but without doing anything. The batteries are fine, the lights are fine inside the camera, they don't flash, so I'm not sure that the capacitors are the problem. The shutter won't trigger either. I figure I'll try replacing the batteries, but any other suggestions?

I tried to read up as much as I can, my dad suggested there might be a lock lever somewhere that's freezing it? the shutter button can be pushed down, it's just that nothing happens.

Thanks,
Kyle

Chaykak
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention that the rewind release is stuck on engaged, I'm not sure how to get that back out again.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The symptom that indicates a dried out capacitor is that with fresh batteries when you just half depress the shutter button the leds will display the shutter speed that the meter suggests (in A mode). When you depress the shutter button all the way the leds go out and the shutter does not fire. It sounds to me that you do have a dried out capacitor indeed. This is pretty easy to fix if you know how to solder. You should search the archives for instructions. I think I still have a bag of capacitors for the X370 around, I can mail you one or two, let me know.

Chaykak
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem is that the lights don't go off when I push the shutter button, in M or A mode. does that mean it's definitely not an issue with the capacitors?

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 71

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I believe if the lights don't go off there should be nothing wrong with the capacitor. I guess that the wind mechanism is jammed. I would start by opening the bottom and taking a look.

Chaykak
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help, I'll take a look. It's not that the advance lever jams though, it's that the advance lever doesn't wind the advance reel in the back of the camera, like the two have become unconnected. Is there anything to look for in particular in the bottom of the camera?

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 39

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the bottom cover & find the blue gear near the front on the wind side. Theres a smaller white gear mtd. on a plate. Sometimes the plate loosens & the 2 gears lose their mesh. If thats the case, turn the blue gear cw until you feel resistance. Engage the the white gear & try winding the shutter. If if feels stiff, dont force, just disengage the 2 gears & let off a tooth or 2 (ccw) of the blue gear. Engage the white gear again. If the action seems smooth, then tighten the screw that holds the plate w/the white gear.

Chaykak
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turns out it was just a problem with how the film was being fed in. Thanks for all the help though! I'll definitely keep this on hand for future problems.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration