Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CANON A-1 VIEWFINDER BLURRY Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » CANON A-1 VIEWFINDER BLURRY « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Integrity
Tinkerer
Username: Integrity

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE CANON A-1 BUT THE VIEWFINDER IS BLURRY, I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO CLEAN IT OR WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE, THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 406

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your question is impossible to answer without additional information.
With a decent lens on the body and the focus set at infinity, do you get a sharp image but the image looks like it is being viewed through a veil or fog? If this is what happens, the problem is probably due to dirt film on the rear face of the prism and the inner face of the viewfinder lens. A simple way to check this is to remove the focus screen and the shine a light through the mirror box. If you then place the viewfinder lens about six inches away from you eye, you should be able to see the dirt etc. You will need to remove the top plate to clean the rear of the prism and inner surface of the finder lens.

Other causes are a damaged focus screen, or a viewfinder lens that has separated - it is made from two components joined by a synthetic balsam.

So please describe your problem in detail.

Other causes

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 660

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check to see if there is an eyesight-correction attachment on the viewfinder eyepiece. When I inherited my father's Nikkormat, it had an eyepiece correction lens that made it impossible for me to focus in the viewfinder, and since it was screwed on and looked like part of the camera it took me a while to figure out what the problem was.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 407

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Thanks. You saved me having to repost the part of the last paragraph, that I seem to have somehow consigned elsewhere!

In case Tom does not know, the A Series correction lenses just slide onto the black viewfinder frame - just slide upwards to remove. The attachment does tend to look like it is a permanent part of the camera to the uninitiated.

Glenn

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration