Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus C4 lens position Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Argus C4 lens position « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerk151
Tinkerer
Username: Jerk151

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please tell me if this method is correct.

I needed to do some clean up and repair to my Argus C4. All went well until I put the lens back on and it didn't line up to the marks I had made before disassembly. The picture I have attached shows a set screw that lines up the focus with the dial. When the set screw is removed the lens unscrews with a helical thread.

Long story short, it didn't go back to the same place. So I borrowed the ground glass from my 6x9 roll back that goes to my 4x5. I set the shutter to Bulb (with cable release to hold it open) placed the ground glass against the open back as though it was replacing a piece of film (at least on the same plane as the film would be) Set the focus dial to infinity and turned the lens (set screw removed) until I had focus on the ground glass. Amazingly enough, the set screw and the sliding slot the set screw travels in lined up perfectly in this position. Is it fair to say this is the correct position for the lens? If so, apparently I have a brain capacity I was unaware of until now to figure it out on my own. If not, well no surprise really, but I will need help fixing it so any input will be nice.

Thank You,
Jody

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 661

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like you've hit it. The lens has a multiple-start thread on the focusing helical, so there is one right way and a few wrong ways to put it together. If you hit it right, it should all line up.

Jerk151
Tinkerer
Username: Jerk151

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, Now to figure out the rangefinder part of things. The first two way mirror was loose, so I took the opportunity to remove it and clean it well. I think I got it back in square, but I'm having a hard time lining everything up. I just picked up the "Restoring the Great Collectible Cameras" (Thomas Tomosy) from the library today, so maybe it will give me a bit of insight. Thank you also for your sketches of the Argus C4 you provided earlier in the week. They helped a lot.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration