Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri 7s Aperture blade cleaning Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Petri 7s Aperture blade cleaning « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ted_tofield
Tinkerer
Username: Ted_tofield

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello chaps,

I'm hoping someone can help me, I have sticking aperture blades on my beloved Petri 7s and have decided to tackle the job myself.

I'm fully armed with tiny screwdrivers, cotton buds and Ronsonol and have got as far as taking off everything in front of the shutter mechanism....BUT....I'm now stuck as I can't work out how to remove this to access the next layer back (which should be the aperture section)

I've got the instruction manual and the service manual (both found on this site) however the repair manual only has exploded diagrams and not descriptions of techniques...

Can anybody help me please?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 101

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried a couple of drops of Ronsonol? If that does not free up the aperture blades you have a more serious problem.

Repairing the aperture blades means that you have to remove all of the shutter components in front of them, i.e., the entire shutter assembly.

I would not recommend this as a first step in camera repair. The shutter resembles a Compur in some respects so if you can find a manual for a Compur you will have some clues.

I have repaired a few of these Petris and the usual problem is a shutter malfunction or sticky shutter blades, which are more easily solved. I can't remember one with stuck aperture blades so I'm sorry I can't give specific advice.

Ted_tofield
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mikel, I'll give that a try. It was fairly straightforward to get to the shutter mechanism but to get any further would mean getting past some very intricate and scary looking tiny cams and springs!

I'll post my results when i'm done!

thanks again....

Ted

Ted_tofield
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm... the news is not good. Whilst the Ronsonol cleaning process went well and everything now moves very smoothly, one of the aperture blades seems to have jumped off it's guide and doesn't move with the others. (hopefully not broken off...)

If I could get to it I'm confident it could be hooked back on. Unfortunately the shutter mechanism is in the way and is in no way easy to remove. The service manual (well...exploded diagram) suggests the whole lot comes away as a single piece... but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Any advice?

I could send it off for a service but don't want to splash out cash if I don't have to... (a shame as I inherited the camera from my dear departed grandparents)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration