Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb counter window Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon FTb counter window « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bowbe
Tinkerer
Username: Bowbe

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting a fix on my FTb which will only be in the range of gluing the counter window back in place. I've read through most of the pertinent past threads on how to take the top part off, so that shouldn't pose a problem.

I have two questions. One, is it expensive to have something like this fixed (to save time and not risk breaking it)? And second, if I decide to go through with it on my own, what kind of fix is recommended (super glue, special adhesive products, etc.)?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 673

Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a good DIY project, I think; a repair service will probably have to charge more than the value of the camera in order to keep food on the table. I'll be happy to send you a sketch for the disassembly if it will be helpful.

This is a common problem with Canons of that period, I guess they were experimenting with a glue that didn't work. I use contact cement for anything like this... after the usual method of applying it to both parts and joining them after it's tacky, goop a little more around the edges where it's not visible from the top. Between the glue between the parts and an extra film of it wrapping around the edges of the part, it won't come off again.

Bowbe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any amount of information I can get on this would be most helpful. Do you need my email, or is there a way to send files through the forum?

Is there anything specifically that I should stay away from? I know some glues create a 'hazy' residue, and GorillaGlue is completely out due to the fact that it expands so much.

skazahay [at] purdue.edu

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 42

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Best is to use what Rick said or if you have a well stocked hobby shop nearby, get a tube of Walthers Goo. Stay away from acc super glues as they can fog the plastic.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 674

Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, absolutely NO super glue, and I would not use Gorilla Glue either. Look for Contact Cement, it's made by a number of different companies and comes in tubes, little bottles with brushes in the lids, and gallon cans for putting down floors.

I don't think you'll need the gallon thing.

Bowbe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll be heading over to Hobby Lobby and Michaels today to pick up some contact cement. I tried out DAP Weldwood Contact Cement at work, but I think the bottle has been there for a while, because it came out clumpy.

Also, I think my camera is a FTb-N QL. Does this make a difference in what I may have to take apart?

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 94

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, the FTb-N is the FTb with a different style DoF preview lever and shutter speeds visible in the viewfinder. so no big differences, unless you go farther.

oh, and make sure to note the order of the washers under the wind lever!

Bowbe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ew, didn't see this last night when I bought the contact cement... Is it okay if it's flammable? I'll make sure have it exposed and dry for a day or two, but just want to make sure.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 419

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never use water based, nonflam contact cements on cameras. Ultimately they can cause corrosion and bonding is not as good as the pure solvent based product. Your purchase will be perfectly OK, and will not need to be left for days to dry - once the window is secure, get the top back on! The only down side of any solvent based cement used on plastic 'windows' -is that if it gets on any visible surface, it will most likely mark the surface. This is why I personally use a 30 minute epoxy for this type of repair. Any excess epoxy can easily be removed with a drop of naphtha/Ronsonol before the epoxy starts to set.

Bowbe
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the tips! If I have some time, I'll start fixing it tonight. Maybe by next week I can have my FTb back in working order.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration