Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM10 shutter sticking... magnets? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » OM10 shutter sticking... magnets? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 198

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm beginning to see why I picked my second OM10 up on a market stall with a shutter curtain off the rails... Every now and then - maybe every couple of films - when I press the shutter release the mirror locks up and the shutter stays open (OK, I haven't looked, but the state of the film suggests very strongly that it stays open!) until I wind on again. As I lose at least two frames, and may get light leaks on the adjacent ones, it's a pain in the backside.

Does this sound like the well-known sticky magnet problem? If so, I reckon there's enough info here on the forum to get in there and take a look. If not... over to you! Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Adrian

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 58

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!
I understand from the grapevine that with normal usage,0M10 magnets need servicing(replacing), every five-seven years. Or if you are lucky, it might just be a battery contact problem. As you are likely to know, even the grease picked up from human skin, can cause a conductivity problem. Not much use, but just a thought.
Regards

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 675

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replacing? Or cleaning? I've never heard of any camera at all needing magnets replaced every five to seven years.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 199

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 05:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must confess, neither have I. But cleaning, on the other hand... This camera has enough battered corners to suggest that someone tumble-dried it. At some point someone poked their finger into the shutter curtain. Given that level of TLC, I doubt that it's ever had a clean of any sort (unless they put it through the washing machine before they tumble-dried it?).

Once I get to the end of this film (it's 800, so not the sort of thing I usually take out) I think I'll have a look at the magnets, and give the contacts a clean too. I can't do that much harm? Actually, looking at the evidence, maybe I can...

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 59

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
Re; 0M10 magnets. As I said, servicing/replacing. It is grapevine chat, but at times such reports can have a basis in fact.
Regards

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 201

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, I know what you mean by grapevine chat - usually a mix of facts liberally dusted with misunderstandings and downright cobblers! In this case, I suspect that the original fact was probably cleaning. I do recall when my mother was sold her OM10 she was warned that ideally she should take a pic every month or so just to keep the magnets from gunging up. When I finish the film, it's time for a clean-up. Probably the first TLC the poor old thing has had (OK, that's a lie - I've put a new screw in the bottom plate and done the light seals) but you know what I mean!)

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 60

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Adrian,
Good Luck!!!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration