Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FOCAL M500T-ZOOM Flash Unit Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » FOCAL M500T-ZOOM Flash Unit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_rgb

Post Number: 44

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I picked up a nice FOCAL M500T-ZOOM
Computer Thyristor Bounce Electronic Flash Unit.
Looking it up on the Internet I came across a
forum question asking if this flash unit would
burn up his Manolta Camera.

I don't believe I've heard of a slide on center
contact or cord pluged into X socket Flash unit
burning up any Camera. I could be wrong so before I put this really bright Flash on one of
my Nikon FEs. What do you think of this question?

This Flash takes 4 AA batteries & has an A & M
Setting, asa & film speed settings. I have the
booklet but it's very basic with no warnings of burning up your Cameras LOL.

Anyone have any comments on this seemingly well made Flash unit? It has a K-Mart tag for
$39.97 Oh the good Ol days of Photography prices. Then again what was I making per hour?

Thanks Guys.
Mike.
PS: I believe it is missing it's diffuser for use
with a 28mm lens.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 81

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, this can be a problem with older flashes (notably the Vivitar 283) having a high trigger voltage that can burn up circuits in newer electronic film and digital cameras. I don't know how old the Focal flash is, but it depends on how high the trigger voltage is (this can be easily measured), and the camera it's to be used on. Some cameras are more intolerant of high trigger voltages than others.

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have Nikon Flash units so why not find a proper
cable & use this for my Zeiss Ikon Contessa? I
have no flash for this Camera. Having a 45mm lens this would make a great bounce flash for this camera. I'm not sure how the Contessa sets the flash off but it has no battery so it may
open the circuit or complete a ground. The manual shows a socket for a bulb or a thyristor
flash unit. Does this sound like a good set up?
Mike,

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 82

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Contessa doesn't need a battery, but it does need an X-sync, which will likely be on a switch on the lens somewhere which has M-X positions on it. M is for bulb flash, X for electronic. I see that the oldest Contessas are X-sync only, which will be fine if you have one of them.

The cable for the flash is another matter - some flashes use a proprietary connection to the flash, others use a standard flash cable, and some have a fixed flash cable. It should work fine if you have a cable from the flash to plug into the socket. Beware also, older cameras often have non-standard sockets, so check that, too.

BTW, it won't burn up your Contessa, there are no electronics for it to burn up! It's entirely mechanical. When the leaves of the shutter are just fully open, a contact is made and the flash fires. Should work fine, unless there are issues either in the flash, shutter, or socket.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 41

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From what I have read so far in various forums the problem of fried electronics occur when using some older flashes with modern cameras and not the other way round (old camera - modern flash). I do not remember which flash models are known to do this though.
There are cameras which have two flash sockets (e.g. a Praktica Nova I own) the one marked X is for electronic flashes.
Sometimes it is easier and/or cheaper to use a hot shoe adapter instead of a dedicated cable. Those adapters plug into the flash synch socket and have a hot shoe on the other end which you can mount in the cold shoe of the camera. Prices for dedicated cables for brand flashes are sometimes quite high. In addition you can use such a thing with a variety of flashes. Most certainly you will have to use the flash in manual mode because older cameras do not support functions of the flash.
Non standard flash sockets on the camera side are a problem of course so best thing would be to take the camera with you when buying a cable or whatever.

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 46

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Synchro Compur Shutter.
( Synchro-Switch in Position X )
( Synchron-Switch in Postion M )
My Synchro-Compur Shutter has a contact nipple
on the upper right side of the Shutter.
The Scnchro switch can be set on X or M on the lower left side of the shutter.

With the Synchro-Switch in poisition X the Ignition impluse is transmitted at the very moment the shutter is wide open. It seems all
the bells and whistles are wasted except the
head that can be moved to bounce off the celing
to give a more natural look.

My Dad bought the Contessa in 1955 in Japan I got there when I was 2 & left at 7 all the Pics were sent to NY and were B&W prints. When we got back Stateside he started taking slides &
that's what he used from then on. Color Slides were always sent back to NY. As far as I know he used the red dot setting & never had a flash unit. He must have gotton good film because
after cleaning some fungi off the slides he took of us in the
jungles & Canal Zone of Panama was beautiful.

He had problems on a trip to Colorado in 73 sent it to NY to get repaired then retired it
until he gave it to me 2 years ago. I sent it off for a check up got it back wit a clean bill of health. Even the light meter works could be because he never opened the window. He will be 95 Dec 10 and can't remember why he sent it in for repair in 73.

If I can't find a cord with a double end flash side & a single that
fits the Contessa, I will give it to my Son he is a Praktica nut, & has 5 different bodies & a slew
of lenses.

Thanks for Your great suggestions. I'm a Nikon nut so if all I can do is shoot slides from the
Contessa I'm sure it will be happy for many more
years. I am always finding Nikon accesories as
more people are parting with their Nikons for
Digitals. Life is Great.

Mike

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I found the double flash to single ends Contessa
flash cable. It fit like a glove & works like
a Movie spotlite. It is just what the Zeiss Ikon Contessa needed. I may try it out on the Fugica 701. Five $$$$$ new in the box on 1/2 price day. This is more fun than all the digi Cameras I could find in the Town dump LOL.

It took awhile to find the right cable but when
I did it was all worth it. Hunting for & finding old Cameras then getting the accerories
is the best hobby I have ever had. Now I hope to develop my Film & make my own prints that will
be the icing on the cake.

Thanks for all fhe help.
Mike

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 49

Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike,

thanks for the update. I always like to read the end of a story. Great to learn you hunted down the cable needed at an affordable price.
So happy shooting and a have fun developing and printing the pics yourself.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration