Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikon Contina II (a) Restoration... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zeiss Ikon Contina II (a) Restoration/Repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arm
Tinkerer
Username: Arm

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, this is my first post. I am wondering if anyone knows of a reputable place where I could get a thorough cleaning/overhaul of a Zeiss Ikon Contina II (a) camera. I found a fellow on the east coast who works on his own that I am sure would do a great job but he said he has a waiting list of 19 months because he works on his own. I described the apparent problem to him and he said he thinks there is a good chance that the camera just needs what he called a thorough cleaning/overhaul. I have read that some places that say they will get old cameras up and running really don't do much of anything or just enough to get the camera running for a short while before it breaks down again. Anyway, if anyone knows of a reputable place that I might be able to send an inquiry to, please let me know. Thanks very much.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 200

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, for what you pay for an overhaul (assuming that you find someone who will do it...) you could buy a dozen!

What seems to be the problem? If it is that the shutter doesn't fire, you probably need film in to engage the sprockets (certainly you do in the previous model of Contina) before you can trip the shutter. Failing that there's lots of info here, or linked from here, about Prontor shutters, and the Continas are nice to work on - a Contina was the first camera I fixed instead of making worse!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration