Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Camera lens won't fold out all the wa... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Camera lens won't fold out all the way. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ilikefilm
Tinkerer
Username: Ilikefilm

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Mess Ikonta and when I open the lens it won't fold out all the way. I have to use my hand to make it click into place. Any advice on how to fix it?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 417

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first action in a case like this is to check for damage/bent struts, then to clean and lightly oil all the pivot points/slide rails. If the problem still persists you will then have to look deeper, severe wear can cause this type of problem.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 174

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Age and lack of use can stiffen the bellows. It may not be a serious problem and may become more flexible with more frequent use.

Ilikefilm
Tinkerer
Username: Ilikefilm

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can post more pics if needed. I noticed some cleaning marks on the lens with a magnifying galss and areas of the coating is missing on the inner lens. Is there a place where I can just buy the lens pieces themselves or should I just leave the camera alone?

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 79

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are actually going to use it you will likely not notice any effects from the cleaning marks. Make sure you use a hood when you use it, though. I would not try to replace the Novar lens, it's only a triplet and while you'll get fine results with it, it's probably not worth replacing with a better looking one. I have successfully transplanted a 75mm Hesper lens from a cheapo Zenobia folder to a Ikonta 521. That lens is a four element Tessar type lens and it would be a step up from the Novar on the cheap (search the archives here for more info on that).

As to the problem of the lens not folding out all the way, a little bit of lubricant on the folding mechanism can go a long way. I have previously fixed this kind of thing by lubricating every joint in the folding mechanism.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration